My Favourite Place

My body vibrated as the bus rumbled onto the gravel outside the girl’s lodge. It lurched forward as it stopped and soon the tranquil silence was shattered by the sound of annoyed teachers and excited kids. My best friend, Kate, was stretching her legs on me, fast asleep. Kate is a nice, clever clogs sort of person which is a perfect match for me because I tend to get over-excited about things. She has pale skin decorated with freckles and straight, dark brown which she always had in a low ponytail with the same black scrunchie. I also have dark brown hair, but really knotty and curly. My skin is tanned, and I have olive eyes matching Kate's. I couldn’t have survived the 6 and a half years I’ve been at school without her.

I violently shook her awake, hoping she would stand up and get off the bus so we didn’t get stuck in the stampede of children rushing to get off.

Her eyes half opened – “W-whaaat? Where am I? Zara?”

I looked at her, “Ummmm, we’re at ca—

“Oh yeah! We’re at camp! Woo hoo!”

Finally, I pulled her off the seat and we ran off the bus, just avoiding the 2nd batch of grumpy kids that had been happily sleeping before we stopped.

Kate and I ran to our cabin, followed by everyone else in our cabin – Marissa, Grace, Ava, Amy and Kristina.

“I dibs top bunk!” everyone shouts at once, and then we bend over in hysterics.

“Girls, I know we just finished the 4-hour drive but we are quite behind schedule and are due at the farm in half an hour.” She sounds just as annoyed as we are. Maybe she was sleeping on the bus as well. “Now chop chop! We don’t want your precious money to go to waste!”

Kate and I link arms as we trudge slowly back to the rumbling bus. All we want to do is unwind after that long drive. Even the bus sounds bored. Its engine makes monotone noises the whole way.

We reach the farm at around 2 pm. As soon as one student points out a hog, everyone wants to get out of the bus to have a peek. However, it turns out all we are doing here is an hour-long astronomical talk about the planets. It’s SO boring that even our teacher dozes off, as well as a few other kids.

After what seems like forever, we are back on the coach, on our way to the lodge. Once the familiar vibrating of the gravel returns, I stand up and run as fast as I can on a moving bus to the front, pulling Kate along. A couple of other kids follow.

The doors open with a WHOOSH and everyone is greeted by a wave of chilly air. I hug my shoulders as I walk to my cabin. As soon as I enter, I flop down on the nearest bed.

"Dinner time!" my teacher shouts. I roll my eyes.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!