The Athenaeum Friendship

The Athenaeum was a beautifully aged place with vines clothing the outer walls. The elegant azure sky could be seen from the ivy wrapped glass where Asteria sat in awe. She had never seen such a sight before. She then gazed around and saw Wren, who was seemingly hypnotised by the ink on the dog eared page. Asteria approached Wren cheerfully. They started to bond over the captivating strokes on the paper through authentic bursts of laughter. Wren suggested a book club, inviting her to join; it was meeting in just short of an hour. Asteria agreed to try it and when they arrived she could immediately feel the warm caring energy that the club brought. After carefully selecting and sitting on feathery cushions, they all got handed some aromatic hot chocolate and read peacefully together. After the book club was concluded Wren requested if she could take Asteria out for coffee; Asteria willingly accepted. Together they strolled down the street to an old otherworldly coffee shop where they sat down and somehow ordered the exact same coffee order.
“There’s no way?!”
“You like chai lattes too! Everyone I know hates them!”
“Yea! I was always looked at weirdly for ordering them.”
“Same!”
They sat and chatted about everything.
Their lives were stuck in this cycle but they didn’t mind. If they weren’t talking they were texting. After a while, they decided to meet outside of the Athenaeum. They chose an appealing park near the centre of town. Asteria came first to set up the picnic. She made sure to pay close attention when she asked Wren what her favourite drinks, foods and especially books were. She had told Wren about her dog a couple of weeks before and Wren told her about her dog, they decided to meet up with their dogs at the park so Asteria brought her dog Athena. Athena was a bouncy and cheeky golden retriever with a radiant personality. She consequently enjoys food very much and so when Asteria had placed the picnic basket in the back of her car she forgot this and placed Athena in the same area. After getting to the park she had realised that Athena had a full belly and was sound asleep in the back of her car. “Athena!” Athena jolted awake and looked extremely guilty. “Well what are we going to do?” There were no food stores around so Asteria didn’t know what to do. Meanwhile Wren was still home, packing food and drinks while simultaneously patting her dog Harlow. He was a very laid back dog that just likes to nap and eat. When Wren arrived Asteria was quick to greet her and start apologising.
“I’m sorry, Athena ate all the food I packed,”
“Ha ha silly girl, don’t worry I’ve got plenty” she said; sitting down to pat Athena.
They chatted and laughed while Athena and Harlow played together happily.
That right there is how a friendship starts, one glance can predict the future.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!