Abigail

The beetle flew in a lopsided circle, buzzing erratically. The man flapped his hands at it and knocked a cage over. It crashed to the floor, startling the cats. A small grey cat jumped high and batted the beetle as it flew past. A ginger cat leapt from the top of a basket to the mantelpiece, knocking off several dishes and a tin mug, and stood, poised to jump, lashing its tail. Several cats hissed loudly. The enormous tabby sprung into the air from the back of the chair, paws outstretched. Two more cages toppled over. The cat knocked the beetle out of the air. The beetle hit the ground. The cat landed beside it, picked the beetle up in his mouth and started to chew, with a thoughtful expression. The man clasped the big cat in his arms and prised open its mouth. The beetle fell out onto the floor. It gave a wavering, buzzing rattle and lay still. The man peered at it. He put the cat down and poked the beetle with his finger. The shell clicked open and several tiny pieces of clockwork fell out. He gingerly picked up the beetle. He peered into its insides. He extracted a piece of hair. Abigail squinted at it from onto the vent. She realized it was her hair. She was worried and then dismay fell onto her. Words raced across her mind as she went forward. A shiver fell over her as she crawled. What does the mysterious person want? What does it have to do with me? Were her only questions. The next room was empty and so was the next. But the next room was scented with oranges and tea herbs.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!