Off The Rails

Off the rails, went the train. Gushes of air rushed through the carriages as each window cracked and smashed. Crockery flew around the carriage. I could hear screams echoing through the train compartments as I held on for dear life. I looked around and could see the fear within people’s eyes. I squeezed Faye’s, my dearest sister's hand, watching her fear made it ten times scarier.

* * *

The whirring of the machines was piercing. Moments later I could hear squeals of excitement. Slowly, painfully, I opened my eyes, but quickly sealed them shut again. The light was blinding. A warm, veiny hand then held mine. It seemed the accident was reoccurring. I opened my eyes fully and then began to squint. From there I slowly sat up. I pulled my hand away and continued inspecting the room. My brain wasn’t comprehending these new surroundings. Sweat and panic soon took over my face. People were rushed out and several people wearing white coats and stethoscopes entered the room.

All of a sudden I had a recollection. Thoughts of Faye began to proliferate in my mind. Where was she?
Was she being locked in this same white, cold room?
Before my thoughts escalated further, ‘FAYE’ echoed throughout the room, it took me a few minutes to realise this was my own voice. My brain felt foggier than ever, but I could feel the one syllable word leaving my lips. I felt small and helpless.

I unexpectedly began crying. Tears were pouring out of my eyes. I could smell the familiar scent of perfume. Usually I would have understood something like this but instead, I stayed put and continued bawling.

Trapped! Like a bird locked in a cage. Freedom was what I needed. Slowly I crept out of the room, within seconds people were yelling a series of unfamiliar words at me. At that point my heart dropped and I began running. I took a deep breath as I stepped into the open air.

The next few days were hard from there on. I continued having episodes. Faye was gone forever and I was confused as ever.

I was told weeks and weeks passed until I somewhat recovered and begun understanding. Now today on the 16th of March, 1992 over a year later I am writing this and I feel I have more understanding than ever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!