Scarred

The shrill callings of the cowbell rang within my fatigued ears. The foetid stench of the dampened floors seeped through my drowsy figure. I scraped my starless hair into a nasty knot. It was another day. I wished it hadn’t been.
I thought of her. She longed for a smile to spread on my sunken face. I smiled. For her. My life was now hers. I was to wake her dreams to life. Up above, a smile would tickle at her lips in doing so. A true one.
And just like that - the uniform wore itself upon my frail frame - like it had always done. I liked it. It hid my colour.
But my stooped face had always remained open to those eyes. Those eyes glinting with heartless menace.
*

My stained feet winded through the besmirched muck. The isolated grass crawled upon my untrusting spine - concealing me. The gnarled branches curled their fleshless fingers upwards where the vultures pierced the silver linings of innocent clouds - a plain reminder of the dying hope that brimmed the town.
*

The gates. Sooty rust writhing upon them. Gates that guarded a prison. A prison that I was to enter. The vile wind screeched - a warning. I trudged forwards.
*
The tarnished door ceased my steps - shielding my colour from their view. I liked it.

It opened. Words followed. Words that were forbidden to utter here. And yet he was. My sunken head welcomed the fuming spit that fired from his mouth.

I glanced below. There it was. My face. Clear of feeling.
My naked feet caressed the filthy puddle - shattering the sun into slices beyond number. Like my soul - chipped forevermore. Superiority flared through my soul. It lit out.
My colour wouldn’t leave me - not even when I was reflected - never.

CRACK.
It had sounded. I didn’t shed a tear. I didn’t scream. But I sank lower and shuffled to the table.
He chucked the black whip and smirked with a flair of superiority.
The pain then hit. Worse than ever. My spine seared and scorched - a rippling fire - as his menacing smirk helplessly remained in my mind.
I scraped my olive flesh in a feeble attempt to rid myself of that which had first scarred me. Scarred me for life.






FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!