The Life Of Ginny Midnight Star

I was taken out by 2 children. The only thing I knew was that my friend was beside me. Although we were different breeds, we were sisters throughout those years. I didn’t think they'd decided on our names. We’re in a box. I felt the soft breathing of her while my matte-black and her patched ebony, chestnut and artic-white sides touched.

Today, we were taken on a car ride. In the darkness I heard giggling. My friend was tense next to me as they pushed us into the car. I hoped we got to stay together.

Our names were Ginny and Binny, but the girls kept changing it. I thought they’d settled on Ginny Midnight Star and Ginny Sock Binny Icky Picky. I didn’t like them, but I couldn’t do anything about it. I just called her Binny. Our cardboard box got changed into a wooden cage with an upper level. Our food was in a bowl, it was hard getting into it, but Binny helped me. One day, the doors opened, so Binny, adventurous as always, ventured out. I hesitantly followed, I wasn’t brave, but I liked carrots.

I’d gotten used to the new area, but yesterday something horrible happened to me. I was exploring, when two girls grabbed me and pushed me into this cramped, wet, blue space. I could hardly breathe, I thought I would die. Thankfully, Binny clawed them and they released me. We had also been prodded with sticks. I think there was only one person I trusted, the mother. The mother cleaned our cage every day. I had grown to trust her since I knew she would not harm us.

Where was Binny? She’d been missing for days, but I couldn’t force myself to think that she was dead. It was night and Binny was outside. She turned a corner and I didn’t see her since. Why couldn’t you have just stayed with me, instead you had to be brave? I stayed downstairs, not eating so I could watch out for her, but she didn’t return. I didn’t think she ever would. I didn’t really care if I lived anymore, what’s the point when nothing could ever make you happy again? How could I eat without her? How could I wake up without her? How could I live without her? They brought in another one, she’s tiny. I didn’t like her, she’s not Binny. We ignored each other. I didn’t care.

Today was the last day. Binny was the only thing that ever made my life worth living for. The loss of Binny was the only thing that could break me completely, and when I died, I didn’t really feel sorry about myself when I gave my final breath. Yes, I had a short life, but most of it was with Binny, and that was all I cared about. The new one squeaked, alerting our owners. As my eyes closed for the last time, I wondered, maybe in my second life I'd meet Binny again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!