The Little Gift Box

I beamed in delight at the beautifully wrapped gift box in my hands. My birthday had been going horribly wrong but I had hoped that my aunt's gift could turn it around. I tore open the box and gasped. Everybody around me looked shocked as I pulled out a used pad of sticky notes. A storm cloud hovered above my head as I furiously threw the gift box at my aunt. Then I clenched my fist around the notes and scurried to my room.

I laid on the bed and bitterly threw the notes at the wall. I sulked on my bed for a while but I still felt irritated. Suddenly I remembered the coping method my therapist had taught me. I got up and picked up the pad of sticky notes. In large, bold writing I wrote my deepest feelings .“I hate my aunt so much that I wish she would never come back.” Then I tossed the crumpled note onto the floor. A couple of minutes later I heard a loud scream from the living room. My aunt entered my room in a frenzy of excitement and wheeled out her suitcase as she sped away. I was so confused that I didn’t even notice Mum entering my room.

“Where is Aunty going?” I asked, flabbergasted.

“She is going to Antarctica to live with her rich boyfriend whom she met on Tinder.” Mum chuckled.

My mum then left the room while I sat at my bed silently thinking about what had happened. Then I picked up my sticky notes and decided to test out a theory I had. In giant letters I wrote, “I wish for money.” Bang! A large breeze slammed open my window and a hundred dollar bill flew inside. No way! This sticky note pad was magic! I grinned in delight at my new found gift. I wished for a dress and moments later my sister gave me all her old prom dresses. I wished for delicious food and then a birthday cake from my uncle’s bakery was delivered to our door. I was so delighted that I used up all the notes,except one.

After a while it was time for my birthday dinner. I quickly jotted on my last note, “I wish to get rid of this house and get a big mansion. It was time to go now. I stood up abruptly and knocked something over but I didn’t have time to fix it.

After the perfect dinner we arrived at home, but to my surprise the door was covered in caution tape. Suddenly a car pulled up behind us. A tall woman appeared and told us that we had been evicted as my parents hadn’t paid the bills.

“Mum and dad, how could you let this happen?” I growled.

“We’re sorry love, we just wanted to buy you that Louis Vuitton purse you wanted!” They wailed.

I felt awful. As I went into my room to collect my belongings I looked at the sticky note. To my horror, my water bottle had been knocked over and half of the sticky note I had written on was soaking wet! Some of the writing was smudged. It now said,” I wish we would lose our house.” Oh no! I panicked but there were no notes now!. Suddenly I tripped and noticed one muddy sticky note under my shoe. It was worth a try! I quickly scribbled on it and wrote. “I wish we could have a house to live in again. Nothing happened for a few minutes until I heard Dad’s phone ring. It was Aunt! As I entered the hall I noticed Dad’s face light up as he hung up the phone .”

Aunt has invited us to live in Antarctica with her and her boyfriend”. He paused. “She is sending a private jet to get us!”

This birthday wasn’t so bad after all.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!