Escaping Home

25/7/21
I just ran. Mother just passed away, and Father has a drinking problem. He beat my older sister Selina (She’s 16), and he beat her to the point where she ran from home. I'm following in her footsteps-Anything to escape our home. But it's not really a home, is it? Unsafe, unstable-Everything a home shouldn't be. And the worst thing is...I have no idea where Selina is. I'd do anything to see her again.

I only packed the bare essentials-Granola bars, water purification tablets, my wallet, and some spare clothing. Stepping out onto the road, I silently closed the door of the house-As I did, I never once looked back. 7 Silver Lane wasn’t safe for me anymore-I planned to survive on the streets, in the dark alleyways. It was a good thing I was a black belt in karate-It’s dangerous for a 14-year-old girl to be out alone, since gangsters and criminals roam the night. Mother passed away because of a gunshot wound-In a bank robbery. If only I hadn’t asked for $30, she would still be here…And I wouldn’t be running away.

A petrol station looms in front of me. Should I go in? The hooded figure inside just screams, ‘RUN IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!!’, but I need more bottled water. If I don’t make it out of there… What will happen to my family? After several indecisive moments, I stepped into the station, and to my horror, everyone was kneeling on the floor, a slender figure wielding a gun. Suddenly, the figure gasped and lifted her hood. “Pamela?’ My sister gasped.

“You followed me here?” “No,” I protested. “I just went in here to get more water!” Selina went quiet for seconds, then said, “Let’s get out of here. Sorry folks, pretend nothing happened, thanks. Pam, grab some supplies.” She placed $25 on the counter as I grabbed a 24-Pack of bottled water and a boxful of granola bars. But as we walked out, two police cars pulled up in front of us. A policeman pinned me to the floor, and as my vision swam in front of me, I could hear “She has a gun!”, and “Hands where I can see them!”. They were arresting me and my sister! “Wait!” I yelled. The policeman pulled us up, and I explained everything to them. When I finished, they nodded, and Selina was unhandcuffed. We were then escorted into a car, and we rode in silence to the police station.

ONE MONTH LATER…
24/8/21
Selina and I are both in a foster home. Father was declared unfit to raise us, and after several court trials, we now both live in an amazing home, with a loving family. Isn’t that what every person deserves? “Hey, happy birthday to us!” Selina smiled and hugged me. We were both born on the same date, but not the same year. I’ve finally let go of my dark past, and so has Selina. Our lives have changed…In a positive way. We will never be harmed-Ever again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!