Blinded

Excellence Award in the 'Unleashed 2022' competition

It’s been 2 years since everyone lost their sight from the ‘great blinding’. Until the dark void, I saw every day had disappeared…
For the first time in a while, light floods my eyes. Stunned, my eyes dart about. My heart starts to race a thousand miles; I start to tremble with desperate panic while I read what’s on the wall. The crimson ink trickles down the once-white walls. Don’t tell them you can see. As I get out of bed, terror leads me to stumble on the rotting, wooden planks. I scream, I see it again, don’t tell them you can see. My body starts to shake rapidly; every inch of me covered in sweat. What was going on?!
Ignoring what had happen, I decide to see the world for the first time in years. I step outside to see thousands of people, blinded. My bare feet sunk into the dew-dropped lawn. The Earth was sated by the radiant, rutilant rays that enveloped the skies. The sun slowly sunk below the horizon’s yellow hue, as blue and purple gradients lay overhead. Sunflowers bathed in the light, as bees lay intoxicated by nectar. My face is now painted with a warm smile. If only this could last forever.
The moment quickly fades away as someone catches my attention. His hypnotising aquamarine eyes stares into my soul. When he realises, I see him, he gets up and approaches me. My heart drops, how can he see me? I trip over the floor pretending to be blind. Nothing works. As he came closer, my stomach replaces with a black hole. Taking one step backwards I collapse, like a marionette suddenly liberated from its strings. Then darkness...
I gain consciousness and study my surroundings. Ominous clouds roll into view, showcasing the full moon shining upon me just like a pearl in the black sea. The ancient church bells stood dead silent. The brittle branches of the willow whip by the howling wind as it dances in a craze frenzy. A sudden chill went through my bones as I gently ran my fingers over the rusted, iron gates. The ghost-cold fence topped with sharp spikes followed the never-ending rows of decaying graves. How did I get here? Pungent, smoke emerged from the gravestones-glued into the Earth, as if it was leaking from the underworld.
Dark, vengeful clouds approach from the horizon. Vigorous flashing lights struck the Earth's surface. The silent atmosphere was suddenly broken by a clap of thunder in the distance. I collapse onto my knees, the world shook and turned like a never-ending pendulum ride. The unbearable, ear-piercing echo bounces into my ears. Suddenly I feel warmth behind me. I turn around to see the same guy from before. Terrified I firmly grip the ground, shuffling backwards as he came closer. Then, he carefully let out his hand.
“You know, you’re not the only one who can see, right?”
“We’ll keep you safe,” he smiled innocently, as I hesitantly grab his hand.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!