Dearest Petunia

Hello Dearest Petunia,
I write to you from the North, as I am sailing across the Caribbean. The journey is torturous and vile, but it shall all be worthwhile when I am able to land in Central America. As you well know, it has always been my dream to become fruitful and affluent from the sugar farms in the Americas, but alas, my hopes of this are beginning to fade. I have received a multitude of letters from my dear brother John, who arrived in the Americas almost a year ago. He has told me in great detail how the farms are failing, and only a small group of farmers are making their fortune. Every day I question whether I should have listened to you, dearest Petunia when you told me not to sail away. When you told me not to put everything on the line... for the small chance at prosperity. But, when these wretched thoughts creep into my mind I put them aside, and remind myself that I have to do this. If not, we could be forced onto the streets. There is no other option Petunia. On another note, this may be the last letter I ever send. We have recently heard from the captain of this vessel that there shall be a large storm tonight. No one board is certain we will survive. The odds outway us, as the vessel could flood, be shipwrecked, or tip at any point in the night. If that is true, then just know I will dearly miss you my dearest Petunia. I am one of the few crewmembers that have accepted the fact that we may die, and there is nothing we can do about it. Others are going mad, demanding the captain turn the ship around. But even he knows there is no way out of this. The men are so upset, that they plan to throw the captain overboard. Even though I am calm, I am afraid. Pray for me dearest Petunia. If this is the last we speak, I am sorry for not getting you the fortune I promised.

Sincerely,
Edmund Abbotsford.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!