Lost

“BANG!” A loud noise startled me from my slumber. A blaring high-pitched ringing rang through my head, my hand clutching my head in immense pain. Where was I? Taking a quick look of my surroundings, I had come to a conclusion: I had no idea where I was. The area around me consisted of these tall pine trees which towered over me like a skyscraper, and the ebony-like sky which was only illuminated by the stars and the moon around it. My environment was extremely unfamiliar to me. I was lost in this strange place. I should probably start with figuring out where I am…

Standing up from my spot, I dusted off the dirt that had been clinging onto me and made my way towards one of the tall pine trees. Looking up, I had an idea. Maybe I could get a better look of where I am if I climb the tall tree! Taking a few paces backwards, I get in a running stance. Adrenaline coursed through my body as I took a leap of faith and clutched onto one of the tree branches. Using all of my weight I swung and managed to land on top of the tree.

I stared at the sky in awe, as I had a better view of it. The bright shining lights in the dark night sky contrasted with each other, giving me this sense of accomplishment after realising what I had done. “BANG!” Another loud noise took me out of my thoughts. Where on earth was that noise coming from?! Birds swarmed the night sky as they flew away hurriedly. Was the noise I heard a gunshot? If my idea was correct, then that means there is a person nearby!

Jumping down from the tall tree, wincing at the rocks on the palm of my hands. I started running towards the source of the sound. The cold night air collided with my body as I fully sprinted ahead. Up ahead, I saw a shabby man. He looked startled as he saw me coming out of the dark. I could hardly contain my excitement. “Do you know where I am?” I asked impatiently. The shabby man just nodded, as he pulled out a map, pointing to where we were currently. I squinted, trying to make out where he was pointing to. I laughed nervously, “Is it all right if I stayed with you? I don’t exactly have a place to stay…” The man laughed at my candidness but nodded, nonetheless.

We walked a few paces when we reached a quaint cabin. We entered inside and a warmth spread throughout. The man had spoken to me and had said I could stay with him until I figured out where to go from there. I smiled and thanked him for letting a stranger like me stay at his cabin. Settling into the couch I thought of what I could do next, slowly drifting off into a deep drowse.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!