Life Is A Game

“No one wins - in the end, everyone loses.”

As I glance to my right, I see Cherry’s bubbly, vivacious grin. She’s smiling back at me from a photo frame. It has perfectly captured her vivacity. Her eyes are glistening and she looks serene. I scan the mourners at the funeral service and see teary eyes and a look of overwhelming sadness on everyone’s faces.

“We’re pieces placed on the game board from the moment we’re introduced into this world. And every day, we make decisions and choose which direction to move next. Everyone is out for themselves trying to be the last to leave the game. However, in the end, everyone loses. We can’t defeat our fate, we can’t beat life itself. Every day, everyone is making decisions that subconsciously draw them closer to death….. or result in them being kept in the game for a little longer. However, Cherry Bennet made decisions that led her to her inevitable death. She liked to take risks, but then, she took it too far. Oh Cherry, how could you do this to us, how could you be so stupid? You don't know what it’s like without you. I know usually, when you’re grieving, you’re angry and mad about the events that transpired. However, even though I hate myself so much for it, I can’t help but feel furious at you too. How could you be so careless? What possessed you? We had so many plans for the future, you and I. Why did you have to leave me?”

My voice echoed across the room at the memorial service. There was silence. There was not even a whisper of disbelief. I couldn’t look at their faces, I felt so guilty and terrible. I left the service, I couldn’t stay there for a moment more. I went outside and sat down on the cold, uncomfortable curb.

I looked at my home screen on my phone and saw a photo of you and me smiling at the camera whilst we were on holiday together.

And I felt calm.

I’m not mad or angry at you! I love you, you were my soulmate and best friend, my better half. I thought about the video. The video where you died. Where you were taking an Instagram photo on a cliff. There were crashing waves and jagged rocks below you and you seemed oblivious. You stupidly stepped a little too far back and you fell.
In the video, I could hear a panicked and petrified scream.
Watching that video was traumatic- there was nothing I could do.


I just couldn’t grasp the fact that your life had ended. I called your phone constantly, but every time it went to voicemail.

‘Hi, this is Cherry Bennet. I'm sorry I couldn’t take your call. I’m probably with my bestie. Anyway, I will try and return your call later. Bye!’

That was the last time I heard your cheery, giggling voice.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!