Nostalgia

The weary traveller, worn by time, trudged through the remote jungle as he held his weathered palm to catch the first drops of rain. He carried a hefty burden; his guilt and the reminiscences of his youth. They weighed down each step he took. He was alone now. Alone in this vast, wide world with no purpose. If only he could travel back in time. If only he could relive that golden life. If only he had not made that foolish mistake. If only.

He had been an adventurous photojournalist, travelling the world with a rucksack and camera in hand. His days were filled with breathtaking cities, picturesque sights, new friends and exciting experiences. His one regret; it was at the cost of leaving the person he loved most, his faithful wife. Foolish and reckless, he had ignored her pleas to return home, assuring her that he would be back in a month. Assuming their life together would stretch until it reached the horizon. He was imbued with the feeling of immortality. Of course, this was just the egocentricity of an unknowing youth trying to advance his career.

Arriving home, he found that his wife and unborn child had left the Earth and transcended into the heavens above. His heart shattered into pieces, and shame and regret plagued his soul with their malice. The future he thought they would build together evaporated. He had squandered their love.

He is roaming with a feeling of endless emptiness along the muddy trails. He plods on, step by careful step, over mountains, across oceans, and through the jungle, but he doesn’t find the same excitement and exhilaration. His journey brings him to a ramshackle hut, nestled in a tranquil clearing, a sylvan setting rich with animal life. The birds harmonised with the faint whispers of the trees, alleviating the vortex of darkness gnawing at his heart. Yes, this was his sanctuary, his final resting place.

The weary traveller, worn by time, stumbled into the rundown hut and fell to the floor. The rhythmic drumming of the drizzling rain, which had been pouring like teardrops from the leaden grey sky, dulled his thoughts and washed away the remnants of his past life. His hefty burden vanished into the realms above. Finally, he would be at peace, untainted by the troubles of life. Closing his eyes, the weary traveller joined his wife and child for the beginning of a new life. He knew his purpose now. He wouldn’t make the same mistake again. They would start again. Together.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!