S.O.S, I'm Stranded

The scorching hot rays of the sun was steadily burning my back, with only the shade of surrounding palm trees to protect me from its vicious heat. It was only me and the company of the salty sea air caressing my face on this island located in who knows where.
I ploddingly stood up to take one more look at the gorgeous view from the peak of the island before descending down the uneven terrain.
Suddenly, I heard a familiar noise. But I couldn’t place a firm finger on it. . . until I realized it was a helicopter passing by. I was found by pure luck! Hope ignited inside of me as I dashed under the canopy of the towering trees. I almost reached the base of the island, to the soft, quartz white sand of the beach. That's where my fortune ended. I stumbled and fell to the rocky earth. I yelped in utmost agony and my vision blurred. I hesitantly examined myself when I spotted a reddish liquid running down my right leg. With my brain foggy, it was difficult to register what it was until I realized I was severely injured. . . and I couldn’t be rescued. The hope inside me vanished as if it was a small flame being extinguished by a waterfall.

Instantaneously, black darker than Deaths’ heart was all I could see.


I woke up to the sound of unnerving silence. That was until every one of my senses came rushing back to me faster than the speed of light. It was like being the victim of the final killing shot. I desperately breathed for air to enter my lungs. I groggily sat up to be met with a flash of searing pain. In a matter of seconds, flashbacks was racing through my mind. It reminded me what fate decided for me earlier.
I warily inspected the viscous blood that seemed to have dried to a reddish-brown hue. When I looked up through the thick canopy of the encompassing trees, I noted that it was yet another afternoon on this small island. Sighing with frustration, I made a mental tally of another day since I was somewhere where buildings and people were not encircling me.
Wincing as I stood up, I fell, but to my luck, there was a nearby tree to save me from yet another unpleasant surprise. Using firm sticks as makeshift crutches, I limped slowly to the beach I was so close to reaching. Was no one ever going to find me here and save me before I breathe my last breath?
‘Of course not!’ I said to no one in particular. I shoved those negative thoughts into an immeasurable hole inside my mind. I had to have faith!

Eventually, I assembled a signal of some sorts. Something someone would surely notice.
I stood silently while the miniature waves crashed around my feet and soaked sand cushioned my toes;
reality hit me as if I was being pounded on by elephants;

I’m stranded.







FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!