Solemn Spies

“Target #100 has been terminated, Sir.” Lucy Declared over her earpiece.
Her latest assassination unlocked unmeasurably more complex tasks. Now,she was in the advanced stages of eliminating targets, meaning her tasks would unquestionably be more challenging in the near future. She stood within reach of her last target’s deceased body, suddenly questioning how and why this was her profession. This thought was a mere spark in her head, which she immediately dismissed.

Lucy took up the task of returning to her standard home apartment. Upon arrival, she started to settle into her cozy bed, while doing this she stared into the pitch black sky which draped over Paris like a blanket hiding the world from the various tragedies that happen constantly across the world. Lucy compressed any feelings that she had and drifted into a deep slumber.

——————————-<~|^|~>——————————

Lucy arose to a chilly mist that spread across Paris. Her teeth chattered as she carefully clambered out of her snug bed and embraced the icy-cold weather. A faint ringing came from her kitchen, although the sound became an ear-piercing screech as Lucy approached the source. She scanned the cluttered kitchen for where the deafening sound was coming from, then caught sight of a metallic device. It was about the size of a compass, with her employer’s logo on it. Fascinated, Lucy set the odd device onto her palm and it popped open. The horrid sound stopped and her delicate ears felt purified, yet soon enough she was greeted by a far too familiar voice. It was her boss. Astonishingly, a miniature hologram of her boss emerged from the device. A message started playing and stated…

“Good morning Agent Johnson. After the recent assasination of your 100th target, you will be facing those of higher ranks. Your new bounty goes by the name of Thomas Charles Evans, 17 years of age and quite stealthy too. He’ll be in the Louvre at 9:00 am today. Don’t mess this up.”

Lucy’s current employer disintegrated before her eyes as a holographic image of ‘Thomas’ appeared.

Lucy’s heart started thumping frantically as beads of salty tears formed in her glistening eyes. She rubbed her eyes fearfully, thinking that she’d seen it wrong, yet there it was, the image of Thomas, exactly the same in every way to her best friend. She slammed the small trinket shut and threw it across the room, this couldn’t be right, he’d never do anything grim! Did she truly have to assassinate her best friend?

——————————-<~|^|~>——————————

Approaching the Louvre at 8:45 made her stomach twist yet, if she didn’t do this she’d be fired and assassinated by another agent at the corporation. She stepped inside the louvre, guilt filling her whole body. Lucy anxiously checked her watch every second until the clock turned to 9:00. She started scoping out the whole area looking for Thomas, hoping she could somehow get out of this uncanny situation.

Admitting defeat Lucy slumped toward the exit, but uncalled for, she sighted a boy with all the features of Thomas… it was him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!