The Awakening

The Dragon opened his eyes before walking out of the tent, tucking his jade wings in as he stepped through the door. Outside there was another tent, much larger than his, and a piece of cloth on the ground with berries. He opened his mouth, snatching up the food with his sharp, blue tongue. Licking his lips, the dragon inspected the other tent; it appeared to be empty, not even a shadow lay in it other than his own. He heard an annoyed voice screaming from the distance...
“WAMER!” The dragon hopped off the ground and hastily flew towards his mother’s voice.

He lowered himself to the ground upon seeing a dragon of his kind waiting in an area resembling a training area of some sort. There were axes, spikes, bows and all kinds of dangerous weapons in front of him. Wamer’s mother sighed, “You’re late again!” She wandered around the place, “You can’t just keep sleeping in. The enemy does not wait for you to wake before they strike, now do they?” With this said, she picked up a bow and fired an arrow straight at Wamer. He stepped back but before he could react, the arrow hit his underbelly, but instead of piercing it, the arrow bounced off the metal-like underbelly.

“That’s another thing I have yet to teach you, son.” Wamer’s mother began, “Our family come from a long line of Ice Protectors, our bodies are naturally like armour, with metal-like skin to protect us from attacks. We also possess the ability to breathe a chilling mist. Such a power must be earned though, once one is truly ready.” Wamer was intrigued and began taking his training more seriously. Day by day, he became stronger, flying through dangerous areas and slashing weapons away with his claws. One day, however, something was different, ominous even.

As he had arrived for his daily lesson, the thunder roared at Wamer with a deafening sound. His mother stared up at the sky in horror as she backed away.
“Son, they’re here. HIDE!” She shouted, Wamer dashing over behind a wall. He was shaking, but stopped when he saw a small gap in the wall. He looked through it, only to see what his mother feared. Two gold dragons showed up, and within seconds, a blinding light pierced Wamer’s eyes. After blinking a couple times, his vision was restored, but the sight was not any better...

When he turned around the corner, the dragons were gone, all of them, including his mother. Overcome by rage, Wamer flew up into the sky and to the castle of the land. Upon entering he was greeted by the king, a silver dragon. But before even introducing himself, Wamer grew spikes on his back as he screamed out all the sorrow inside him with a mist that filled the air.
“I WANT TO JOIN THE ARMY!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!