Summertime Melody

It was the 2013 summer holidays and Liam was enjoying them by staying indoors, listening to Vance Joy’s ‘God loves you when you’re dancing’. He was laying on the couch where the fan could reach him. He could feel the cold air pirouette from his legs to his blonde hair. Liam liked summer because he loved the feeling of warmth and freedom. He glanced over at his record player his parents had given him as a present for his 6th birthday, a family heirloom passed down from generations. It had a keyhole. Liam always wondered what the keyhole was for and where the key was? Liam pondered as he took a giant mouthful of fruit loops.

As Liam was getting a lemonade icy pole from the freezer, he heard his parents talk about going to the beach that afternoon. He got excited because he loved the beach, specifically the ocean. He asked what time they would go “Shortly after twelve.” His father said, in a calm manner. Liam knew his father needed to put on this tone of voice because he loved the ocean, even more than Liam did. He knew this because his dad was a keen surfer back in the day.

Once they arrived at the beach, Liam’s little sister, Piper, insisted that they get an ice cream. Liam’s parents agreed and entered the que. Finally, the happy family got their ice cream and stepped out onto the warm, crisp sand. Liam gulped his double choc chip ice cream because he wanted to get into the ocean as soon as possible. As he jumped into the ocean, he could feel his body become weightless. Liam started to swim, but his right foot got caught under a rock, he went underwater and lifted the rock.
His foot was free, but Liam saw something else it looked like…. A bottle? He reached for it and took it with him.
Liam reached inside the bottle and there was a small note and a key, he read: ‘God loves you when you’re dancing’.
The boy thought for a moment, then realised the words were from the album that he was listening to. The key though, he still wanted to know what that was for? Liam discarded the bottle, placing the message and key in his backpack, meanwhile enjoying the rest of his time at the beach.

Later than evening, Liam had a quick shower and put on his Christmas themed pyjamas. He pulled the message and key out of his bag and moseyed over to his record player, note in one hand, key in the other. Liam’s mind was focused on the key, He looked at the record player, then back at the key. Then it became clear, he put the key in the record player’s keyhole. Liam turned the key and heard a click. He slowly opened the lid and found an old record. Because Liam was a curious young man, he played the record, the room started to spin.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!