The Dark Plague

Argh! I hit the ground with a hard thunk. ‘Take that, loser,’ laughed Jakob in his cruel way and he walked away. I pushed myself up and limped away from where I had fallen.

Every day since I came here I have been bullied. I have never been popular but I had never been beaten like this. You see, I am an orphan, which is really hard. My parents were murdered in a mobbing for the paper in their wallets. The afternoon bell rings and I walk inside. Back at my foster home my foster Mum made mac and cheese for dinner and I went to bed in my small beige room.

Five weeks later, there was a rumour that something was happening all around the country. Over the next few days strange news was coming from the West. The next day, whilst I am walking home from school, I hear screaming. I run towards the source and see them. Horrible, gory, heartless zombies. Hundreds of them. They are trudging along in their torn clothes. I turn and flee. More and more people are being infected which in turn makes more zombies. It is a terrible disaster.

When I arrive home I find that my foster family, the Barkings, have already left. So much for family, I think. I rush inside and find the old banged up radio that my ‘family’ had kept in the living room! When I turn it on I hear a scared voice speaking, ‘If you are still alive and listening,’ it said, ‘This is what we know: an evil scientist let the plague into the UK. All survivors MUST GO WEST to find other humans… wait! How did they get in here?! ARRRGGGHHH!’ The radio went quiet. I felt sick. I need to get out.

Argh Argh ARGH! Zombies, lots of Zombies at my door! I feel my heart sink. There must be hundreds of them. I run to my back door and flee outside where it is still chaos. Then I see it: hundreds of metres tall with matted hair and a misshapen face. It is a giant zombie! I feel terror in the pit of my stomach. Then I see him. A small boy surrounded by the hideous undead. I sprint to him, pick him up and run away. I set him down and said one word: ‘Run!’ And he dashes away. When I knew he was safe I look up and see the giant gnarled zombie foot come crashing down on me and that was the last thing I ever saw or felt. Then everything was gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!