Taming The Tiger

He was king of the jungle; everybody feared him most. Every night, as the moon tainted the sky with its eerie glow, he chose a new victim, poisoning their heart before carelessly tossing them into a desolate cave. He was after all, the creature everybody feared.
--------------
An orb of glittering sequins danced above her, casting an iridescent silver glow. It epitomised perfection, twirling like a delicate daisy whilst shining a flame of fierceness, each sequin reflecting the face of a person in the audience; a story of hardship and courage. Underneath, the woman tenderly dipped her hands into the chalk, renewing her spirits with a long-lost dream.

“Representing Australia, please welcome Chiara Jones!”

A sense of hope erupted in the audience as the woman stepped out into the light. A smile radiated off her lips, thawing the icy terrors which had cast loneliness on her for years. Signalling the start of a new beginning, she elegantly dropped to the floor. Nothing could stop her now.

The music drifted like a wave throughout the arena as Chiara gracefully danced to the rhythm. As she twirled and spun, she painted a story of adversity, loss and survival. A story in which she lost herself and forgot who she was. The crowd has now hushed, mesmerised by the mirror dancing in front of them. Suddenly, the soft, airy music was snapped up by rigid, hip-hop. Chiara hopped ecstatically from one corner to another, grooving into the music’s fast-paced beat. It was nearly time for her tumbling pass, the piked double front. A move, which had never been completed by a woman, let alone by many men. But nothing could stop her today. A fire was raging in her heart; she was determined not to fail again. Abruptly, as she rose her arms, sharp, daggered teeth sunk into her flesh, forcing her into a pit of rejection and disappointment. The king of the jungle had finally got her.

Darkness. It encapsulated Chiara’s vision, as her lungs begged for air. She had failed. Failed all her life. She messed up her opportunity to join the A-League Team, she destroyed her chance to qualify for the Olympics, but most importantly, she had failed to show her daughter what she was really worth. Every time she gave into that monster, letting it tear her into pieces. Now, once again, she had failed, obliterating the chance to paint a smile on her husband’s face. He had spent thousands to get her to the trials, but she was about throw it all away by letting the tiger within consume her.

The crowd, sensing the urgency, immediately rose to their feet, clapping and chanting. Cheering jubilantly, they encouraged the homegrown hero to fight the creature back. After all, everyone had had their fight with the tiger, each facing the relentless creature in their head. Now, it was time for Chiara to fight hers.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!