Hoverboarding

“Ow!” Zac was practicing his triple backflip on his hover board when his naughty dog ZoBo bumped into him, crashing Zac to the ground.
“You right?” smirked Liza. Liza was a year younger than Zac at Elsternwick High and was also often at the Hoverpark. As well as being incredible at hoverboarding, Liza was also the meanest person Zac knew.
“Yeah, whatever” huffed Zac as he heaved himself off the ground.
“Later loser” called Liza as she walked away.
Zac gathered up the barking ZoBo and sped off to school. He skidded to a stop as a bright poster caught his eye. It was a huge picture of a hoverboarder and the words underneath the picture got Zac even more excited.
“Enter Now! This competition could change your life! The Hover Skateboard Championships! Enroll Now – only ten days left!”
“Epic!” thought Zac, “100% I am entering – and it’s at Elsternwick Hoverpark – perfect!”
That night Zac looked up the competition. When he saw the list of names Zac slumped as he saw that Liza had already enrolled in his favourite event – the 360degree turn-over flip. Liza was the last person Zac wanted to be on the list.
When the day of the competition finally arrived, Zac was bouncing around his house. Excitedly he put on his favourite t-shirt and set out, doing hover skateboard warm-ups all the way.
Through booming music and colourful banners Zac smiled at familiar faces in the crowd. Zac tried to keep Liza out of his mind, but she kept coming back.
The judge started to read out the contestants’ names. Liza would be first, then Zac.
“Zac, you’re up” called the judge.
Zac gripped his board and stood ready to launch himself off the platform.
Wooot! The whistle blew and Zac was off! He soared through the air, completed a summersault but then suddenly Zac realised he was out of control. He kept climbing, soaring and flying higher and higher!
Liza looked and stifled a laugh – what a loser she thought. But slowly Liza realised Zac was really in trouble – and worse, no one else seemed to realise!
Without thinking, Liza launched herself and tried to catch Zac, but only ended up going up with him – uncontrollably and soon they were flying out of Earth’s atmosphere!
They were out of control, zooming faster and higher. The higher and higher they went, the further away Earth was. Suddenly, they bumped down onto a red, rocky surface.
“I read about this planet”, said Liza. “It’s planet 72.A, and if I am correct, I think I might know how to get back to Earth. Pass me your hover skateboard.”
Nervously, Zac handed Liza his board. “Please be gentle with it” whispered Zac.
“Its fine, I’m just going to reverse the code so it will go down not up… Done! Now hold on Zac, we’re going down!”
“Whoa!” Zac screamed as they flew back to Earth.
“Why, why did you that?” Zac stammered, “you know, save me?”
Liza shrugged, “dunno… later Zac.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!