Countdown

The wind was running through my hair. My rifle sitting strongly across my shoulders. I crouched down and scanned the forest, taking care not to make any sudden moves. A carpet of fine evergreen needles clothed the woodland floor, simulating the woods outside of headquarters. The sweet pungent scent enveloped our senses, As we continued with the mission. I noticed a small target in the distance, moving quickly towards it, ignoring the sound of Bella screeching in the distance as she tried to catch up to me. I, on the other hand, was miles ahead of her. My adrenaline began to drive every choice I made. I wasn't going to stop for anyone. A timer started to countdown. I knew I was in the right place. The simulation began to replicate the Autumn season in the way of a gently sung lullaby. The newly emerging leaves have a rosiness to them, the sun capturing the vividly coloured dots as they fall gently to the earth. The floor was soon engulfed in gold and crimson blaze. The air is sharp, allowing the trees to lash against each other like drumsticks in the hand of a giant.
I raise my head, allowing the light and shade to play across my face. The earthy scent mingled with the excitement rushing through my blood, filling my lungs as I kept running, delighting in the sound of my feet crunching through the leaves.
I continued to run towards the sound of the timer, My feet kicking up piles of leaves all around me, the orange, and red leaves flurrying through the air as I flew towards the target. The sound became more deafining the closer I became. The end of the mission was in sight. All I needed to do was take down the target. I unhooked my rifle from my shoulder, bringing the lens up to my eye. The target was in sight. One kill shot and the mission was over. The sound of the bullet leaving the rifle reverbrated through the air, As the target flew backwards. Straw guts flying out of his abdomen.

I quickly slung the rifle back on my shoulder and ran to the timer. I reached through the circular mat and placed both feet inside. An alarm went off. I knew I had won.
I flung the my weapon off my back, releasing the weight off my shoulders. I took my virtual reality glasses off, flicking my tattered hair over my shoulder and flashed a large smile at the director, who was brimming from ear to ear.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!