Pretty Girls

"You look so beautiful!" Aubrey coos, swishing her sleek blonde hair.

My lips are slathered in lip gloss. Its shimmery exterior hides the motive of this lurid substance, to pressure girls into becoming society's ideal image: tiny waist, thick lips, long eyelashes. Yet I push away reality in a box, desperately trying to ignore the truth. I smile sweetly at Aubrey and lean closer to the mirror to inspect my eyelids. This eyeshadow has mica in it; I can already tell. Kids from India my age have likely worked all day to provide what? Money for unsustainable companies? Temporary self-assurance for girls like me? Why am I succumbing to the void of beauty? I shake these thoughts away and focus on the beautiful girl looking into my eyes. Her irises are piercing blue. Her brown hair adorns natural highlights, and her full lips comfortably sit on her clear skin. She is the result of the world. She is the result of society's expectations. Aubrey tugs on my hand and leads me away from the neon lights flashing 'Pretty Girls' in pink.

"Oh my, I love that store! Right Carlissa?' Aubrey raises a single perfect eyebrow at Carlissa, and she frantically nods, her curls bouncing up and down. Aubrey tilts her head to the side.

"But why didn't you buy anything then? And no offence, your thighs are SO big. Love you!" Aubrey says, not looking the slightest bit apologetic.

Carlissa starts sobbing, and her mascara runs down her face in streaks. She doesn't look like the perfectly put-together girl she was forty seconds ago. Aubrey cackles, and I hear her phone click as she snaps a photo of Carlissa.
"Please, Aubrey, DON'T SEND IT!" Carlissa shrieks.

Why am I standing there? It would be much easier to repeat this cycle, watching Aubrey adopt another girl to play with and then ruin their life. Her manipulative ways have always left a lurid taste in my mouth, her verbal poison seeping through my veins. Have I been her tool, validating that she'll always have a faithful devotee no matter what? Carlissa stares at me, expecting me to laugh and torment her like I usually would. But no, I stand next to Carlissa. Aubrey's eyes widen in shock, and her eyebrows slowly rise. Going against her is much more intimidating than standing with her.

"So, you think Carlissa is the person you should be siding with? Ugh, Emily, I thought you were better than this. Ha! You're like every other girl, and you'll never be anything!" she hissed, leaning close.

"No, you'll never be anything but a puppet of society's expectations! Girls like you are the same as girls like me, insecure. But people like you decide to hurt others. Pretty isn't the same as beautiful. Pretty is a mirage, never achievable. But beauty is etched into everything, everyone. So don't go shaming other girls for something you'll never have!" I shout.

Pretty has held onto me for so long, but I finally feel beautiful.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!