Leaves

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

An arc of blinding light blasted through the forest, bathing the forest floor in its pale glow. Wind whipped and rain poured, drowning other sounds in its deafening roar. Powder black clouds marched through the sky, leaving blackened matter in its wake. Concealed in a layer of leaves lay a robin, his feathers ruffled and soaked by the spray of the rain. He bowed his head gratefully, for the leaves concealed him from what could lurk behind them in the shadows.
The storm soon dispersed, leaving trampled plants and dewdrops that clung to each leaf. The sun came out again and the early morning continued. But then each snout rose; the animals tasted something different in the air. Instead of eerie silence, was the sound of the truck, moving cleanly across the damp undergrowth like the ground was oiled and smooth.
The animals scampered up trees, shielded themselves in the bushes. The little robin hid himself between the leaves, once again using them for protection. The sounds of the truck grew nearer. The robin peeked through a gap in the green weaving, unsure if it posed a threat.
The truck came in sight, gliding through the damp floor. A chain trailed behind it, followed by the ever-repeating sound of thudding.
Thud. Thud. Thud.
The robin's mind wondered why nothing remained after the truck went by. Another thud sounded.
The robin turned, and only had time to see the sickening impact as the chain pulled a tree to the dust.
He squeaked in alarm and took flight, terrified of being thrown to the ground like the tree had just been. He flew until its wings could fly no more, haunted by the images of the falling tree. The sun had only just surrendered the land to darkness when the robin finally spiralled to the ground. He hoped for leaves to conceal his shivering body, but there was only the fallen twigs and dusty soil. A place for the dead.
The days went by, the robin tried to find shelter. He journeyed far and wide but was only met by swirling plumes of dust and dirt. In desperation, he turned to go back, to find the leaves that should be there. A storm began to form, rain poured down, wind whipped, the sky began its show, just like before. But this time, there was no leaves in sight, none of the steady bark the robin used to rest upon. He fell again to a dreamless sleep, his body craving the warmth and protection the leaves used to give.
Again, the robin flew, dreams of green leaves and brown bark pushed him forward. Eventually he arrived, body frigid and frozen by the night air. His eyes searched keenly for the leaves, where was it? Where did it go? His body ached, expecting the warmth and pleasure he was promised.
Instead, he was greeted by a barren plain, devoid of any life that used to be there.
And the tire marks.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!