The Wired Gate

7 months and 19 days since my family and my village were violently attacked by the Russian Army, and honestly, I kind of expected it because they already ruled one-seventh of the world. "Sima! What are you doing standing here, have you lost your mind?! You know you're not allowed to be here!" My little brother exclaimed. I sighed and replied "I know, I know, I'm just planning how we can get out of this nasty rat hole." Malik scoffed and pulled me out of there.

"Mama!!" Sima went near the wires again!" stated Malik. "??? ??? ???? (you little snitch)." I mumbled under my breath. Mama didn't reply but just sat on the crusty, rock-hard , dirty bed and gave me her death stare. She turned away and started whispering something. I couldn't tell what she was saying but i could tell she mouthed 'useless rat'. It was clear she was talking about me, and a teardrop rolled down my cheeks. *I hated Malik so much after this.* I thought to myself.

Since Mama wasn't saying anything, I started walking to my friend Farha's cabin. Once I reached there, I started wailing so hard I think the guards outside head me. "Habibi, what's wrong??" Farha's mother asked. "I am done living like this! We have been doing nothing but live like low-life rats for the past 7 months, I want to get out of this disgusting and awful place!" panted even more. Fatima came in and calmed me down by getting me a towel, which was torn and dirty, yet probably the cleanest one she has. She sat next to me while I dried my wet face and ended up with huge, puffy eyes.

Farha, lets escape! I don't want to rot here." I said sarcastically. She and her mum agreed and I was utterly shocked when her mother replied, "Don't tell this to anyone, habibi, me and some other families are planning something... big. We 'will' get out of here once and for all." I was too stunned to speak, I stuttered "s-seriously..?" She made me promise not to tell anyone else, including Mama and Malik until they finalized the plans.
The next day, I walked into the El-hamed family's cabin and joined their discussion of what they were planning to do. Apparently they were planning to escape in less than a month though the wired gate. Some people noticed there was a small hole under the bush and we could get out of there.

The day of escaping was going pretty good until some child sneezed and we all got caught but Ahmed Elhamed, the one who came up with the plan sacrificed himself and told everyone to run but the guards caught some people including Farha's father. Me and my family managed to escape and we are so grateful for that. Farha's family though was going through a tough time. We got really far where people didn't know us as refugees. We are still on the search.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!