Evocative Scents

Halcyon Mornings
I wake up each morning with a thin slice of sunlight playing side-n-seek with the curtains. The first thought occurs, what time is it? I run downstairs and of course, without a doubt, the most warm and comforting woman is standing in the kitchen. A kitchen where the air is dancing with fresh lavender and ginger. Birds, soft prayer music, humming and the sound of tea boiling. The euphonious sounds that fill this memory all lingers with one smell…
Smell is the morning chai that nani makes,
‘Tis the ginger and its fine flavour that the milk takes.

Blossom
We embellished her just for her to get enshrouded in yellow. Ah yes, the lucky colour, which radiates that glow from our melanin. She sits shyly next to him while they get blessed with turmeric. How lucky am I to be celebrating the love of two souls, the love for colour, the love for blessings, and the love for happiness and laughter, all in one. Aunty is laughing with her new hubby, probably reliving her Haldi. I remember it was a day filled with the fresh fragrance of rose petals, rose water, and turmeric. You know another thing I remember? The fresh flowers. As many as how many lissom women there were.
Smell is the jasmine garland ma puts in her hair,
Weddings are the best with this bouquet in the air.

Devotee
My adoration grew by each foot I placed ahead of me. My body is magnetised towards this architecture, the body which was created by him who I praise. The ground is always cold when I touch it to my forehead. It smells like a blanket of roses that never fades. I close my eyes and suddenly see my purpose, I feel the materialistic items which build us and hear the emotional connections which break us. What I remember from these visits though, is that I never wanted to leave. Sitting there embedded in the fragrant rose-y atmosphere does something to me. As if each ribbon of scent is intervening my fibres and detangling them into separation.
Smell is my favourite place… yes the temple,
I love that sandalwood and rose agarbatti for example.

What is smell? I was asked,
The truth lies here, which is now unmasked.
Smell is Love my dear, a Love that you could never regret,
It’s the morning chai that nani makes, I am sure you didn’t forget…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!