A Legacy Left

"STOP IT, STOP SAYING THEIR NAMES!" I could feel the rage bubbling inside me, all I wanted to do was scream as hard as I could. There was nothing left inside but anger." You did not save the world, if you had saved the world, you wouldn't be standing here right now. You would be gone like the rest of them!" I could feel the tears streaming down my cheeks as I fell to my knees.
"Why can't you just let it go, I helped them, I was there, we saved everyone, I watched my friends fall to their fates. I saw the life leave their eyes and you know what the last thing we said to each other was."
"No, I don't because when I found them it was too late, you..." I was cut off by Sandra's shaky voice.
"Exactly, you don't they all told me that one of us had to be left behind. I said no, I said if we go down, we all go down together but someone had to stay behind Alexa. Someone had to be left to take care of you. They were my friends too, my family."
"Yeah, well I would have preferred anyone else be left other than you! At least if someone else was left they would tell your legacy, share everyone's stories. You just sit in front of a camera all day and tell your story. You leave them all out so, their forgotten."
"But they’re not forgotten Alexa, we remember them." Sandra's voice back to a whole structure.
"Really, because it only seems like I remember them. You have been so wrapped up in this new life you're forgetting everything they meant, what they stood for. Look Sandra we all have to go at some point. It is the only thing we all have in common the one thing that binds the world. So, the only way to live on is through memory. Through legacy, we all leave something behind on others and that is what keeps our loved ones at peace until they join us." I got up off my feet now. Standing with all the strength I could gather to my legs.
"Alexa! I would have died along with them on the that battlefield, but their stubborn asses pushed me out of the way. They thought I would be able to look after you. You were the only one out of all of us who couldn't and still can't do anything. We didn't train you; you don't have a gift. We just tried to keep you safe. That's why I am here to protect you. I am still your friend Alexa. Always have always will be." I could tell by her tone she was sincere, but it meant nothing to me. I was so overcome with grief of the only family I ever had, even if they weren't blood and raged at the thought their legacies wouldn't be passed on. That's when I felt the power overcome my body.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!