Everyday Mourning Routine

I grieve for those who are still alive,
And attend the funerals of people I see daily.
I wear my mourning garments to school, my mascara, my uniform, my tie.
My expression is resolute as I walk down the hallway to say their eulogy.
I pretend we are a tragedy.
A tragedy like the Scottish play we analyse in English,
or the tale of two lovers we perform in drama.
I pretend, and I act, and I improvise the life I live without you.
My grief is a metaphor, poorly written by a year 9 English student,
As a representative of the struggle, I am unable to overcome.
I hold your smile in a text, your memories in a bracelet,
yet I can no longer hold a conversation with you lest I forget where we stand.
I watch my fingers shake in the vape-scented bathrooms,
And I once again clasp my hands to the sky in an act of futile desperation.
I cry, and I breathe, and I pray.
I pray for a time when I no longer have to mourn for the living.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!