And The Morfern Chateau Goes To...

Louis was lounging on the brown sofa in his apartment, noisily typing on his laptop.
The sudden sound of someone rapping at the door made him jump. “Louis! Let me in!” the voice of his twin sister Courtney yelled.
“You live here, too. Come in as you please.” Louis called back.
“Oh, right.” The door opened, and a young woman the same age as Louis flounced in.
“Hey, what’s with the sealed envelope?” Louis asked as he noticed the envelope with a red seal in her hand.
“Oh, right.” Courtney said, glancing at the envelope. “Well, Grandpa’s will has finally been found and copied, so now that he’s dead–”
“Wait, Grandpa’s dead?!” Louis asked.
“Don’t you remember?” Courtney asked. “He died right after New Year's last year. We had his funeral in February?” Louis shook his head. He couldn't remember anything. He didn't even know Grandpa died.
“Well, anyway, this,” she held up the envelope, “is one copy of his will.” She started to pick at the seal.
“What makes you think that I would want to know what Grandpa left me?” Louis asked, snippets of a gory memory entering his mind.
“Oh geez, Louis!” Courtney rolled her eyes at what he was hinting. She pried the document out of the envelope. “It’s been four years. She’s just in a coma! You visit her once a week!”
“Yeah, but Grandpa knew how much that affected me!” Louis objected as Courtney unfolded the paper. “So why would he leave me something that would just cause me pain?”
“Oh, no!” Courtney gasped, staring at the copy with shaking hands.
“What?” Louis asked, suddenly curious.
“I got money from a charity party two years ago, but you…” She offered Louis the will, looking worried.
Louis took it. He skimmed it until he saw his name mentioned. He read it aloud:
“‘To Louis Charles Musois, I give to him the residence I have lived in for the past fifty years-'?” He widened his eyes as he gazed at the text. “‘-the Morfern Chateau? In the hope that…' What's the big gap here?”
“They said the remaining sentence was smudged on the original.” Courtney whimpered.
“Why would he leave the chateau to me?” Louis asked. "And after what happened to Lisa?”
“I don’t know.” Courtney said. "The ways of Grandpa maybe?"
“I can’t accept the chateau as part of my inheritance.” Louis protested. “Did he not know that the girl attacked there four years ago was my girlfriend?”
“And she was my best friend as well.” Courtney added.
“Not was, is.” Louis said, correcting himself as well. “She’s not dead. But still, I can’t accept it.”
"Maybe you'll find out soon enough." Courtney suggested hopefully. "I mean, Grandpa always used to say that 'things happen for a reason.' How about we drive to the country later and check the chateau out before you decide?"
“Okay.” he said reluctantly, after some time. “But can you do something for me?”
“Sure.” Courtney answered.
“Don’t tell Ella Sharp. She'll be on my tail if she finds out.”
"Oh, I won’t tell her.” Courtney said with a disgusted look. "Definitely not her."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!