An Unexpected Encounter

Elina opened the door, gaping at the spindly figure that was silhouetted against the moon. The stranger peered at her with sharp pale eyes that seemed to penetrate her body. Elina's mouth dropped onto the floor in terror. The man had every detail she loathed. Already Elina didn’t like him. She wished he would disappear.

Elina followed her mother, who was ushering the man to the dining room, serving him tea. Elina appeared, “What is he doing here?” she hissed, giving her the most hostile glare, she could manage. “He’s your uncle who will be looking after you. I’m going to China for the summer. There’s work business to do.” Elina’s heart skipped a beat. Her mother was the worst liar. Last year she invited a criminal into her house, explaining he was Elina’s ‘uncle’, using the same excuse. Her mother literally almost was robbed of all her money until Elina managed to save them by calling the police. Elina practically screamed at her mother last time for not looking at the posters.

“Can’t I go with you?” Elina asked, trying to sound more casual and stop her voice wavering, a pang of suspiciousness striking her suddenly. Elina was a perceptive girl, and she knew her mother wasn’t the kind of person she wished she could be. She was too gullible and let in people that could do a lot of damage.
Her mother’s response was just as visceral as Elina’s. “No, I’m afraid not,” she stammered, her face blushing scarlet. As soon as she did that, Elina knew she was lying. Elina gave her a ‘look’ to show she knew her mother was lying.

“I have to go to the bathroom,” Elina said. She hurried to her bedroom and stuffed her suitcase with her belongings. She tiptoed over to the window and opened it. The window slipped open like silk and was completely silent. As she leapt down, she waded through the sea of grass that clustered around her puny legs. She ran as fast as her short legs could carry her.
“Goodbye,” she whispered, only audible enough to hear.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!