Competitive

I went for another lap, thrusting my legs hard in the water. Desperately kicking, it seemed that I would never reach the end of the race. There was still another fifty metres, and I was already out of breath. Instead of stressing out, I focused on the bubbles, bubbling up to the surface and disappearing. It was white and foamy...

Realising that I had slowed down, I kicked harder at the water, overtaking the next swimmer. It was now or never, because Rebecca is leading first, and I’m third. Only twenty metres to go! That's not very long. I use the last of my stamina to overtake the second player. While I’m still swimming, the crowd roars. It’s only a mumble of sound but I can hear it. When I reach the wall, I raise my head and see Rebecca, grinning. She reached the end four and a half seconds before me.

I stand on the podium, disappointed. Even though I’m happy I got second place, I knew I could’ve done better. My medal glistens. It’s shiny. Then I look at Rebecca, -she’s got a big trophy and a gold medal. Jealousy hits me hard.

The drive to Melbourne is long. When we arrive at the pool, a strong smell of chlorine hits me. The splashing of the kicks are hard and fierce.


I have to beat her in this one.

My coach stares my eyes down. Then, she softens and gives a thumbs up and cheers. ''Go, Tina!''

I dive into the icy cold pool. I start off strong, so far, first. Rebecca is close to me. I take another deep breath. The splashes of the kicks are strong. My movement is quick. I raced ahead of her, still in the lead. Fatigue strikes me hard. My kicking becomes slower, and I am overtaken by Rebecca. I use my ration of energy to beat her in the last stroke, placing first.

I stand on the podium, holding the biggest trophy in my collection. I grin so much I can’t stop. My coach cheers and claps loudly.

State champion, going to the nationals.
Jealous much?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!