Best Friends

At a funeral, what do you expect? Dressed in bright colours and cheerful waves to the coffin that drives away? A skip and a hop back to the car, or how about upbeat songs to lighten the mood? No, how outrageous, how disrespectful! All in black, in the rain, taking a sad trip down memory lane. A tear is recommended, but a sad face will be excepted. Roses on the grave, need a tissue? But here I stand, brightest of clothes, just me and the family, the people you chose. This bed in the ground is for you to rest. I refuse to be sad. So here I stand, 18 years of age, blowing you a kiss with a smile on my face. Your bark I’ll miss, that smile, that run. You’re my best friend, and I’ll love you forever. Even though I despise funerals, I’ll take a trip down the happiest of memory lanes.
No one bothered to tell me that year nine was meant to be the worst year. Can I cheat on this test? No? I can’t? Oh well. Another D in French? That’s the second time this week. We’re not even halfway through the term yet! More test results? Why bother looking, we already know what destiny has laid out for me. Homework. What do you mean it equals 2,050? That doesn’t make sense! But just when I’m getting angry, you come in. My stress instantly vanishes.
11 years of age today. Even though it’s my special day that comes around only once a year, I share my day with you. To the beach we go! (Your favourite place). Quick, the waves are going to catch us! Want the ball? Where are your please eyes? Ready, steady, run! Let’s have a race! I’m going to win this time! But alas, we all know four legs are faster than two. Home time? Already? In the back seat we go. I’m tired so let’s have a snooze.
Starting school is terrifying. Have you seen how tall they are? They’re practically skyscrapers! Lessons are new. Math includes counting, there's more than 100 numbers! English means writing and reading. Oh! I’m good at that! But the best thing of all is going home. It’s not the fact that you sit in the car and tell mum everything or get an icy pole because it’s summer. It’s seeing you waiting at the fence, your waging tail not being able to contain itself. You’re only a puppy, but fear is an unknown thing to you. You smile and greet, you bark your little lungs out. Did you see that? You helped me make a friend. You really are amazing, I knew that when we got you.
It’s Christmas! I’ve been waiting all year for this day. But no amount of time could prepare me for the ball of fur that came bounding toward me. My dad doesn’t believe in Christmas miracles, but I do. We’re going to be best friends forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!