Haunted From The Past

Browsing the pages of an old newspaper and came upon a page. ‘Kane Roger's maniacal onslaught over Boston. Slaughtering 500 people, including his four-year-old daughter (May Roger), who was at her daycare.'
'Woah,' she thought as she read on, 'When May Roger saw her dad approaching with a gun, she attempted to use a toy telephone to call for help. Despite pleading with him not to, Kane Roger shot his daughter before using the last bullet on himself.' Samantha thought of the old telephone toy at the kindergarten she worked at. Assuring herself it was a coincidence, she made her way to her car before driving to work.

After pondering the article all day, Samantha packed her bag and got ready to head home. As she was walking past one of the playrooms at the kindergarten she worked, she heard the toy telephone ring. She glanced around but there was no one there. Uncertain of what to do, Samantha approached the door and gently placed her hand on the handle, it slowly creaked open, the creak echoing around the room. The phone proceeded to ring. She walked up to the phone slowly and stood in front of it, perplexed and doubtful of what to do. Then reaching out, she answered the phone, placing it to her ear. “Daddy! Don't hurt me! Somebody help me! Please!” A gunshot tore through the phone, following an agonising scream. Dropping the phone in shock, Samantha rushed to the nearest police station in tears and reported what she heard. Later that day the kindergarten was closed for inspection and Samantha returned home.

Samantha tried desperately to forget what had transpired that day. She swore she wouldn't leave her house until the case was closed. Barricading herself at home, Samantha shut all the doors and windows, terrified by what happened. She left only to get food. The people of Boston were also apprehensive about the disturbing news that was broadcasted on tv. Though not as disturbed as Samantha was, the little girl who died 50 years ago spoke to her through a toy phone.

The following day, as Samantha made her way home after getting groceries, she found the door unlocked, and the key lay on the floor next to a little ball of paper. Enveloped inside was a red cork. In sloppy writing, the paper said, "Why didn't you help me?"
She sputtered a cry as she realised that the cork was… a bullet. Scampering inside, she closed all the doors, gathered all the keys and hid them, sobbing every time she recalled the note. She was too aghast to go to the police or to leave her room.

That night as she tucked herself into bed, she tried falling asleep but couldn't help but feel that she wasn't alone. Finally, she reached over to her side table and switched off the lamp. She lay in the dark when suddenly, she heard the barrel of a gun click and a young girl's voice whispering, "Samantha."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!