The World In My Hands

I dashed up the stairs in my two-storey house, tightly clutching the new globe in my hands. As careful as a surgeon, I placed it on my bedside table. A voice echoed from the globe.

“Just one wish Ben. One wish and one consequence.”

Intrigued, I picked up the globe once more. The lines on my hands gazed in amazement as the globe began to glow more radiant. Slowly but surely, a warm sensation began to pulse from the sphere as wispy, translucent clouds began to swirl inside the plastic casing.

Forgetting for a moment the mind-boggling thing in my hands, I remembered the voice.

“One wish? What did that mean?” I thought.

A million thoughts bounced in my mind like excited puppies. Then, a lightbulb flashed in my mind as I realised what the mysterious voice might meant.

Maybe, my wish could come true in our own world! This globe was like a voodoo doll.

The wishes that entered my head were balloons, floating in but popping after a while. Soon, one idea entered my head and it stuck.

Quickly, I babbled my wish. It was for everything to be perfect. After all, what could go wrong?

After making my wish, I rushed outside to see the result. Everything was normal so far. The weather was tranquil, so I decided to go for a bike ride. But, only 10 minutes into what seemed like a normal bike ride, things went horribly wrong.

I rode in my lane on the bike trail with somebody next to me. Peeking at that person, I nearly fell off my bike! He was riding in a straight line! On the curves, his bike tilted at the perfect angle! I was so startled that my perfectness ran out and my bike crossed the middle line just a smidge.

But it was enough to upset perfect people.

“Why did you cross the line? Everyone in the world is supposed to be perfect!” the person declared.

Shyly, I muttered an apology and turned to go home. Just as I was skidding into the driveway…

“Why did your bike veer off the driveway onto the grass! That’s not perfect!” exclaimed my neighbour, angrily waving his fist at me.

Startled, I hurried in my house to change the wish. This was not going as planned! Just as I closed the door, I heard the neighbour, “You closed the door too loudly!”

I dashed up the stairs but this time I was worried rather than energetic. Rushing to the globe, I picked it up and shook it, pleading, “Can I reverse my wish?!”

“You may, but be cautious not to make the same mistake again!” boomed the strange voice.

Nervously, I looked out the window. Everyone was riding their bikes wonkily, hanging clothes on the washing line randomly, and doing their daily routines. No one was doing things perfectly.

But it was all perfect in its own special way.

I realised you don’t have to be perfect to be happy.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!