Mr Employee Of The Month

His well-oiled hair gleams blindingly under stark elevator lights, carefully styled moustache perched above a smug smile. He glances at a flashy new watch as the doors ding open, confidently striding out. Scents of imported cigars and freshly pressed coffee linger after he leaves.

The second he enters Zero headquarters, comfortable silence is replaced with chilly tenseness. He draws eyes striding through the office, smug expression unwavering and boots clacking against glossy linoleum. My eyes too follow him, though my gaze is of hatred rather than awe. He eventually reaches his destination, a meeting for god knows what. With the soft whoosh of automatic doors, a blast of strong air conditioning escapes the conference room with scents of alcohol, expensive cologne, and power. As much as I would love a life as easy as his, I would hate to be one of them with their twisted morals and obsession over status.

A fluorescent yellow box jumps up and down in the corner of my screen, begging for attention. I click on it instantly- just to make the notification disappear, of course. ‘PROMOTION OPPORTUNITY,’ the email screams at me in capital letters. ‘BOSSES LOOKING FOR A NEW MEMBER.’ My breath catches in my throat- not of excitement. Like I said, I don’t want to be one of them. Everyone else would, though- the most exclusive clique in town was recruiting, and everybody wanted in.

When the vipers walk through the room, frantic bustling replaces silence as people ‘subtly’ shove their work into the vipers’ view. I sit unmoving, worrying about what would happen when they offer me the promotion. They would want me. I’m different from everyone else, who’s practically on the floor shining their boots. I didn’t want it, though. Unlike them, I prefer to preserve my dignity, to live life without unnecessary materialism and exploitation. What would that even feel like? I begin imagining all the things that would happen if I was one of the vipers, imagining what my life would be like- just the horrible things, of course. Not the huge salary increase or countless luxuries.

I ride the elevator with a viper the next day. The air is so tense I feel I would implode- because he’s about to offer me the promotion, probably. How would he take it when I refuse? A chime signals the elevator’s arrival- this is his last chance to offer me the job. Poor guy, he’s probably nervous- perhaps I’ll let him down gently.
“You.”
I turn to see his mouth form a scowl.
“Yea, I’m talking to you. Move.”
Strangely, my heart drops to my newly polished shoes before I step aside. When the viper leaves, I’m left standing in the elevator, devastated over not being offered a job I didn’t want in the first place. Perhaps he wasn’t as intelligent as I assumed, didn’t know that I wasn’t pathetic and desperate. Perhaps he thought I was just like everyone else, but I’m not- am I?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!