The Card Factory

My breath halted as I saw her. Black makeup, a pointed expression and not a care in the world for slaves like me. That arrogant air that shrouded her made me want to throw something at her. I clawed my hand, using the pain to bring me back to what really matters. To rescue my friend, Jack of Diamonds. Perched on the hill, in the middle of the 4 kingdoms was the Card Factory. Hundreds of cards exited its gates, belonging to numerous card decks for humans to use. I have never been used. According to the records, my card deck, 174, was lost. Only a couple of cards like Jack and I survived it. A humourless laugh sounded left of me, as I was concealed behind an old armchair. If the Queen of Spades knew I was here, then I would be ripped in half, similar to treason in the human world. I thought that maybe sneaking around the Spade’s castle would help me pinpoint Jack’s location. So far, after 3 days of meticulous searching, I have found nothing. Not a peep of where that wretched Queen was keeping my friend. I took a deep breath to steady myself. My ears strained as I noticed another woman in the room.
A red dress and golden bangles glinted in the faint firelight. It was the Queen of Diamonds! She muttered something, and a humourless laugh responded. I gritted my teeth, I really couldn’t stand that woman. My dark hair stuck to my face as sweat trickled down my brow. My feet were starting to cramp from being tucked into a ball. I had to move. A rumble from the left revealed a hidden passageway, shrouded with cobblestones and mystery. I resisted the urge to gasp. The Queen of Spades took a step forward. “Oh, you won’t be eating now, or ever.” She drawled. She laughed, and the Queen of Diamonds moved beside her. “So do you really think this plan will work?” Her animated voice echoed through the passageway.
The Queen with the black dress turned to her. “Without a hiccup.” Both Queens giggled and turned away. It gave me a couple of seconds to take stock of the situation. In the flickering light, my scrunched eyes focused on a boy with cheeky chestnut eyes slumped against the wall. “Oh no,” I whispered, hopefully inaudible to the two Queens by the fire. “What have they done to you, Jack?” I longed to unshackle my friend. It didn’t make sense, his Queen and my Queen cooperating together. Both Queens had a deep discussion. The hours I sat there, crouched behind the striped armchair, I spent hoping against the doubts that both the Queens would go to sleep. They didn’t, leaving a pale boy suffering and imprisoned staring back at me. After hours of chatter, I almost nodded off. But one line stuck in my head forever. The Queen of Spades, drunk on red wine, carelessly slurred, “Let’s send him for treason."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!