Such Is Life

Sarah could still feel the chocolate gelato dribbling down her chin as she reached for the last scone, orange ooze exploding between her teeth as the sweet liquid mixed with the caramel. Deep longingness filled her chest as she remembered… Oh, but when was that? Back when she was a sturdy young toddler, full of youth, or when she was an ambitious juvenile searching for the answers of the universe? Now she finally noticed how much time had escaped from her grasp without her so much as winking.

How she craved for the feel of a jolly stout hand which belonged to the miracle of her and her spouse’s life, now living a life of his own. But her life did not only consist of miracles and fairy tales, sparkle and shimmer. No matter how greatly Sarah wanted to leave them behind, her deepest regrets and worries still lingered on her like a seed planted deep within her heart, growing everyday into a sturdy tree. Almost every day, Sarah heard how white people looked down to the ‘dirty black’ people and spat sullen words about their race. She also pretended not to notice the frail face of her spouse as he gargled a litre of alcohol every sundown. Nor the limp in his frail, beanpole legs. Even as she folded her hands together every night to beg Jesus, nothing seemed to change for eternity.

Slowly, gradually, dark circles wound themselves under Sarah’s eyes, and she wondered if her husband had even noticed the walking stick she carried with her as she cooked meagre meals. Sarah would never admit the pain of spending her days draining her eyes with video games and romantic TV shows to rid her from her misery. She was desperate for the days of youth and happiness that were long gone, leaving only memories and longingness. Gently, Sarah dusted and opened her memoirs from the shelf of which she wrote on Primary School and High School. In Preliminary she walked her first steps into the school gates, meeting her teacher and peers. All the way to Year 6, where she celebrated her journey into High School. Then in year twelve and beyond, traveling the world and meeting her best friend. Well, look at her now. Worn out clothes with splotches of oil. Back then it was all fashion and skirts, ripped jeans and sneakers. Oh, how she loved jeans. Day after day, the elderly woman dreamed of youth and whenever she saw a young passer-by out her window, she would watch them until they became a tiny speck.

Ten years later, Sarah lay in the hospital bed, scarcely noticing the many blood donations being donated. Little could she ever know that relatives and friends alike were coming in to donate blood from the car crash that had ‘ruined’ her life. At only 76 years old, Sarah Kipsile died thinking she was alone, without knowing the birth of her granddaughter named after her. Life truly does go on.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!