The Dive

Creak!
I was standing 10 meters above the local swimming pool. The diving board creaked against me. I took a step towards the edge of it. “Do it! Do it!” my friends cheered. What would you do if you had to dive of the highest diving board in town? A couple of days before, I got an invitation to one of my friends’, Angela’s, birthday party at the local swimming pool.
My breath became shallow. I could feel sweat prickling across my back even though it was mid-winter. I could literally feel every single eye staring at me, wondering if I had the guts to dive off. I took my hands off the rails and looked down. Woah! I thought. It looked terrifyingly high. Also, from what I could see, I saw the water rushing about and forming a circle in the middle instead of floating calmly. Forget about it, your eyes are just probably playing tricks, I said to myself. 3…2…1. I took off and could feel gravity pulling me down. I was getting closer and closer to the water.
You may be asking, why would I do something like this? Well, last Friday, the entire class of 6MH was playing truth or dare at lunch. I couldn’t protest, as Kayla, my best friend, practically begged me to come. So, I eventually gave up arguing and tagged along. After all, I would like to see the dares that other people had to deal with. Little did I know that the biggest dare of all would be aimed at me. To jump off a 10-metre diving board. I was too shy to say anything, so I meekly nodded and agreed. Inside, I was groaning. Why did I have to be so timid at times?
Back to the present, remember when I said that I was diving off the highest diving board in town? I was meant to add that this pool was the deepest in our town too. I was less than 1 meter away from the water.
Splash!
I landed in the water. Luckily the water felt warm (no, it wasn’t you-know-what), not cold. I kept holding my breath as I tried to swim to the shallow. But I kept sinking down instead of going up! What is happening!? I thought in alarm. I tried to push away the strong current of the water, but I knew it was no use. The current was too strong for me. I knew that it was a matter of time before I lost my breath. I was sinking in deeper and deeper…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!