Haunted

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

The moon shines like a lost spirit- casting eerie light as night takes over. Fatigued, I trudge wearily outside my cottage. Cars drive across the road like vulnerable glow-worms- and their dim headlights flicker weakly.
I grip the linen present box tighter, as I approach the entry of the house. Tiny tendrils of my breath whisk out of my mouth, as I stand - mesmerized by the tall, extravagant building, covered in silky cobwebs. Windows glow a fiery amber, then a crimson red. It seems to lure me closer every step.
Eerily, I feel an opaque shadow glaring at me from above. I don’t dare look.
Shivering, I turn around dejectedly.
What was the point of greeting your new neighbours so late at night?
Suddenly, the vast, wooden door whisks open, and the glowing lights switch off. Wide eyed and in complete darkness. I gasp as a sharp blow pushes me inside as I hear the wooden door slam from behind.
“I smell blood,” a voice croons.
Ominous squirms race down my spine as beads of sweat begin to form. A strong and sudden force rips across my back, as spikes of pain pound against my body. I stagger, gulping as I feel the sensation of blood. Blood dripping down my spine, jerking me into a sudden panic. Desperate, I run my fingers across my back, and rub my bloody hands on my shirt.
Nausea fills my senses, as I throw myself onto the walls, searching for a light. Then I remember, the linen present box had a miniature light packed inside that would surely help me escape. I sigh, as the box was nowhere to be found.
“Don’t move!” a distant voice demands.
Rapidly, I used my hands to search for the door. I gasp as I find the grimy handle. Muffled footsteps begin approaching closer. No! I was so close to escaping.
I desperately turn the handle of the door. Locked! I can hear the footsteps of the monstrous creature drawing nearer. 3 metres. 2 metres. 1 metre…
Suddenly, I feel a firm hand grip my shoulder, this is it. But to my surprise, I hear a soothing, familiar voice.
“You may gift them the present now,” I realise that it’s my mother.
I stifle a scream of joy. I turn, and see the same opaque shadow glaring at me- but this time with kind, gracious eyes.
I breathe a sigh of relief, as I hold my mother tightly and laugh.
“You’ll never guess.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!