The Moment Of Christmas

“Bong!!” The bell tower chimed, echoing through my silent town. 12am, the moment the day starts, the day the traditional ham is brought out. The day of gifts and festive celebrations. Glorious gifts, waiting to be graciously torn open below the Christmas Tree.
My eyes fluttered open excitedly, the bell waking me up completely. “Bong!!” I slowly sat up in my adequate four poster bed, excitement buzzing through my wide-awake body. I glanced at where my elf on the shelf was yesterday- hanging off the Christmas string lights above my mirror. He had now disappeared. I started to predict where he could have moved to, but then I remembered grudgingly, he would have glided back to Santa Claus by now.
Christmas pudding awaits. I licked my lips at the glorious thought.
A disturbing six remote hours of waiting to wake mum and dad up. How bothersome. I stood up and walked, slowly and puffy-eyed, over to my glistening bedroom window. I opened the silk curtains, and gazed at the dazzling stars. My room is on the second story, so there’s an amazing view.
The gorgeous sizable Christmas tree set up in town was shimmering down below, in the light of the street lights, the snow glittering on the pine. I remembered when last year my family and I helped decorate that tree.
I closed my eyes, shining with Christmas spirit, and fell back asleep. A merry day awaits.
The day has been exceptionally amazing, but a few things could have been more satisfactory. For one, I was extremely disappointed when I didn’t receive the skateboard or the new headphones I’ve been hoping for, among a few other things. This Christmas, I received a large collection of chocolate, money and perfumes. I can’t believe I need to wait another whole year until this special day, all over again.
But then, in a split second, I realized: Christmas is about having celebrations and lots of fun. Presents are only a small part of it, and giving them to loved ones is especially enjoyable- you get a warm and happy feeling inside. Receiving presents definitely is enjoyable too, nobody could deny that. Christmas only happens once a year, and if it was more than that it would get boring.
I smiled as I thought of all the amazing things that happened today, hugging my teddy bear into my chest. Today was a wonderful day.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!