Mirage In The Blue

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

As I run my fingers through the cool water, a tender phosphorescence glow followed the trail left by my fingertips. The water once calm, rose from the shallow depths and stood up like a brick wall. Then out of the blue, what I assumed was my wild imagination turned out to be the figure of a familiar woman. For a moment, I wondered, could it be her? While she drifted in the sea brick wall, she glanced at me, gave me a warm smile, and vanished just like that. Soon after, the wave came thundering down, followed by the gentle flow it previously had. It’s as if the incident failed in occurrence.
Most people would presume that what I had witnessed was just a hallucination or illusion but deep down, my inner instinct told me what I cannot explain. As the darkness grew in the blue skies, I decided to go home. With my head and arms hanging low, I briskly walked and pondered on the thought of seeing her again. Why is reality like this? Just when I got the chance to see her properly one more time, she disappeared. They say life is not always fair. Sometimes you get a splinter sliding down a rainbow, but why does that splinter hurt the most? No matter what I do to relieve the pain, it always stays latched to me.
Well, I’m home now. I’m not sure if I can call it home anymore. As I released the door open, I heard a faint feminine cry from a distance. I guess it’s not only me suffering. Out of exhaustion, I slouched on the couch only to see the photo album sitting right beside me. With a heavy heart, I opened it. Looking through the pictures makes me feel as if my whole past life had just flashed before my eyes. However now, I remember missing a piece from this incomplete puzzle during those memories. Over the progression of time, I have acquired somewhat of a positive impact from my family, however, one suggestion that always sends shivers down my spine is…moving on. How can I move on? She was my everything from the beginning to the end. If you asked me my one wish, I would simply reply with the request of at least seeing her for the last time. But I suppose there are things in life that we must accept as they are. I slowly closed the album and went to bed so I could mourn in silence.
It was the next morning and without hesitation, I went down for my beach stroll in hope of a luminous day. As I was walking, I found myself stopping from being caught by the sight of her, again. I waded through the sandy shore and returned the smile I received before. Life began with waking to her loving face, now it ends with sorrow and self-disgrace. I loved you once, but now I will forever, mum.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!