The Bus Stop

I tugged my coat tighter as I forced myself to walk to the bus stop, although only a set of trudges came out. A cold autumn breeze brushed past my skin and made me quiver.
“Make a giraffe!” remarked a kid. I glanced over to my side to find a small girl pouncing up and down watching a man do something. I squinted trying to make out the shapes of the distance. His hands weaved and twisted a long tubular object, making an animal. I tried harder until I realized what it was; a balloon animal. I ran straight into my destination, banging my head against the wall of advertisements.

“Are you okay?” a voice asked. I slowly sat up and observed my surroundings. The same dull, dark world was what appeared. I lay there for a while until I noticed something in the horizon move.
“The sun finally decided to show up,” I thought. Although, the sun seemed off. It reflected like rubber and the shape was more defined. I rubbed my eyes twice before confirming it.
“I said, are you ok?” the voice spoke again, more sharp than last time. I stood up and glanced around to find where the voice was coming from, but it projected from all directions. Something cold grabbed my shoulder. I paused still as stone before carefully turning around. I shrieked as I became nauseated and vibrant colours filled my vision. Images of balloons getting twisted was all my mind could see. Soon my vision returned to normal and I dizzily attempted to stand up, crashing to the ground. I steadied myself before standing again. As soon as I stood up, I noticed my ears wiggle; my ¨something is going on¨ sense turned on. The ground was bouncy, the world was brighter, and the bus stop was no longer there. Something bounced in the distance, and being curious, I rushed after it. The rubber, twisted, creature was bestowed before me. I squealed; it was so cool to see it up close I forgot how nonlogical it was.

“About time you stopped screaming,” the giraffe groaned and rolled its rubbery eyes.
“You can talk! This is the best!” I exclaimed and squeezed the balloon animal. Suddenly, more creatures appeared. There were monkeys, poodles, fish and countless more! I lay down, bringing multiple creatures with me. I giggled and laughed as I named each creature,
“Fluffy, Ruff and, what should I name you?” I glanced down at the yellow shark.
“HONK!” it exclaimed jumping up and down. I replied with a small chuckle,
“Ok, you can be called Honk!” Although, the shark kept repeating those words,
“HONK! HONK!" Suddenly, all the balloon animals joined him in unison. I screamed as my hands flew to my ears. Quickly, the bright colours started fading and became darker. I glanced around to find myself back at the bus stop.
“HONK!” the bus shouted. I gathered myself up and entered the bus, I’ll get my own balloon animal someday.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!