The Lady

The lady is clearly not struggling. A burning fire with enough wood to last two winters and stores full of food, regardless of the hardest winter in years.
“Cup of tea, anyone?” The lady stares at me, something dark in her eyes, concealed by a fake warmth.
“No, thank you.” Zemii, the polite one here, looks at me before returning the smile on the lady’s face.
“I’ll go get some blankets then, you must be freezing.” She stands to leave the room, looking back at me again, staring just a bit too long. I turn to Zemii.
“Something is not right. We are not safe here.”
“I know,” Zemii is hesitant, “maybe we just stay tonight?” I shrug.

Minutes pass and I know it has been too long. I turn to look out the window. The snow is falling quickly, but undeniably there is a group of people outside, people in full silver clothing. Zemii follows my gaze to see four soldiers marching up the street. He gasps, crouching down to the floor, where I join him. The only sounds are the crackling of the fire and the wind blowing.

The snow gets even heavier, and I lose track of where they are. Then as quickly as I spotted them, they burst through the front door.
“Zemii, run!” The soldiers grab for us and I turn to run for the door the lady went through, dread filling me when I find it locked. Gloved hands grab me, forcing me to the ground. I am screaming for Zemii to go, the last soldier stalking towards him. Then I realise what he is going to do, Zemii sprints towards me, barging right into the soldiers. Two topple over onto the floor.

There is only one holding me down now, but he dropped the rope, my hands are free. I clasp them together, and close my eyes. I breathe, reaching to find all the energy left in me and release it to the Earth. Vines smash through the windows and snake across the floor towards those in silver. I know it will not take long for them to slice through the plants. Jumping to my feet I grab Zemii and bolt out the door. The footsteps of the soldiers are not far behind, we begin to sprint.

Suddenly, Zemii grabs my arm and makes a sharp turn, shoving me inside a shop. We breathe as quietly as we can, straining our ears for the sounds of the soldiers, as we crouch behind the door. We sit without saying a word, our breathing filling the silence. Turning towards Zemii I find the question in his eyes.
“The Aluna Clan, that’s them, isn’t it?” Sighing I close my eyes and tell him the simple truth.
“Yes, the same people who took me from my family and changed my life forever.”
“Will they ever stop?” He sounds just as tired as me and I am quiet for a time, not knowing if I will answer, but I will, because I must.
“No, they will not.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!