Joy’s Summer Vacation

The school bell rang at Saint Peters School. It is finally the end of school for the summer. In grade 3, the class teacher was talking to the students that the holidays were going to start. All the students were excited, especially a girl named Joy. Joy had been home schooling since Prep. She started to study at Saint Peters 2 months back. This was her first school holiday. All the students left the classroom and talked to their friends what they were doing that summer. Suddenly Joy realised she did not plan anything to do that summer. How was she going to enjoy the summer if there is nothing to do? She thought about it as the school bus drove to her home.

When she reached home, she took a shower and went downstairs for dinner. Andrew and Anna, her elder siblings were helping set the table. Her baby sister Mary and little brother Joshua were playing with their toys. When they all sat for dinner, Joy talked about her school holidays to her dad and mum. “So Joy, how was school?” asked dad. “School is great, but it’s the last day of school for the summer,” said Joy. “You must be excited,” said mum. “I am, but what am I going to do for the summer?” asked Joy.

“Why not stay at the beach for the summer?” said dad. “Yes, the beach is the perfect place to spend the holidays,” said Joy. The next day everyone packed. Joy packed clothes, bucket and spade, towels and more. They planned to leave day after tomorrow. The day came and everyone was excited. After breakfast, they went to the beach. The beach was an hour away. They reached the beach by lunch. Everyone was starving. Since no one had the strength to make lunch, they went to a restaurant. After lunch, they changed to beach clothes and went to play at the beach. They stopped at sunset and went home to have dinner. The next morning Joy woke up, had breakfast and they all went out to play. Joy and her siblings made sandcastles, swam in the sea, and looked for crabs and shells.

When they all were having dinner, Joy’s father brought in the best roast he had made and wanted to be careful and tried to balance it. Then, he accidentally tripped over his shoe. The roast flew up and landed on the table upside down. Dad called out one word, “NO!” Everyone laughed. So, they went to a restaurant instead.

The day came, to go back because summer was over. Joy had a wonderful time. They all journeyed home. When they reached home, it was dinner time and they all sat to have dinner. When dinner was over Dad asked, “What was your favourite thing about this summer?” “My favourite part was when the sunset and sunrise shone on the beach. It inspired me to write about the summer.” Joy said, “And when you dropped the roast,” “Aw,” said dad.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!