Under An Influence

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

The whirring of the blades above me imprisoned the pilot’s monotonous conversation in their sound tsunami. Unbothered, I toyed with the laptop before me. As if he had noticed my lack of attentiveness, Mr. Hooker sealed his mouth and turned to face the front. “What brings ya here, Zelda?” he bellowed. My eyes lowered instantly as unbearable memories gushed back. I shot Hooker a troubled look. “Mr. Ryland… I was required to investigate the forest. No, not that I didn’t want to, it’s just...” I promptly scanned the canopy beneath us, exploiting a nearby tablet. The LiDAR beams were swift to create a 3D animation of the ground concealed beneath the blanket of trees. “No need to say anymore ‘kay? I know what Ryland’s like. But you’ll love the Amazon… and its secrets,” Hooker added with a grin. I smiled feebly and glanced at the tablet. “OMG! Mr. Hooker, halt the helicopter. I’ve sighted something. I need to parachute from… here.” Hooker flashed me a trustful grin and signalled.

I inhaled deeply, permitting the clean air of the Amazon to fill my lungs. As my euphoria cleared, the image of the awkward 3D structure kept reappearing before my eyes. What was it? Could it be… the City of Gold? Flushing out my worries, I landed with a thump on the dirt. Straightening up, I considered my surroundings. “OW!” Something sharp dug into my shoe. Annoyed, I moved my sore foot to observe the object, and nearly choked on my own saliva. “A gold biscuit?!”

I hurriedly picked up the iridescent biscuit and examined it thoroughly, each breath becoming sharper as my heartbeat increased. Instantaneously, something far more interesting caught my eye. Countless dung beetles, their bodies shining in the faint light, were marching towards the bottom of a rubber tree. Curious, I dropped the biscuit and began taking light steps in the insects’ direction. Suddenly, the earth beneath me gave away. With a scream, I dropped.

I could smell the damp earth and hear my heart drumming in my ears. My head spun, and with a shaky breath, I lost consciousness.

I rubbed my eyes with the back of my soiled hand. Eventually, my surroundings became clearer. My eyes twitched with tears. A chamber… built in pure gold. From the ceiling to the columns to the floor, everything glittered in a misty light. Alarmed, I got up to my feet and perceived a gold statue touching the ceiling in a side of the chamber. It was of a man, with opals for eyes and nails. Suddenly, a voice echoed through the empty walls. A bulky man stepped from behind a pillar. “MR. RYLAND?!” I cried. He smirked. “Welcome to El Dorado, Zelda Huxley” I stared. “You know,” he walked towards the statue, “I need to open Viracocha’s mouth chamber, and I need a sacrifice.” My eyes widened as realisation sunk in. Instantly, a large gold trap-door closed with a loud THUD, sealing the only exit. “Oh no” …

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!