The Shadows Of The Mind

Shadows were lurking around me. I stood in utter despair, not knowing what to do. I heard faint whispers in the distance. I tried to run away, far far away, stealthy and quiet. SNAP! I stepped on a twig. Oh no, I thought in my head. I couldn’t move faster than this pace, otherwise, they’ll hear me.

I had to rest, my legs were dead, and I couldn’t run anymore. This is it! I thought to myself in sadness while trying to catch my breath. I heard austere and icy voices heading in my direction. What could I do? Am I stuck here forever? With every breath, I felt them getting closer and closer until I felt a sweaty and sticky hand hold me by the jaw.

I smelt his horrid breath as he said I had to give up and that nothing could help me. As he said those words sharp pains of agony rushed through my entire body. My blood started to freeze as I was taken hostage by that creep who had caught me. He tied my arms behind my back with a rope and gagged me so I couldn’t talk anymore.

I couldn’t even scream for help!

I was being driven away in a black van, where to, I didn't know. All I could hear was the sinister snicker of the man driving the van. The journey was bumpy and on a rocky road..is this the end of the road for me?

Why me?

As the van stopped to a halt, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I heard the giant and heavy footsteps of the guys on the gravelly ground. The van door slid open revealing the creep and his accomplice and an old shed that looked dilapidated and ravaged. They pulled me out forcefully.

They blindfolded my eyes and sat me down on an uneven, sticky chair. The only thing I could think was if I would make it out of here alive otherwise I would be dead within a few moments.

I heard scared whimpers. It was another girl. What will happen to both of us? I had a feeling of relief as I realised that I wasn’t alone anymore which didn’t last for long as my panic amplified not knowing what would happen next.

I felt sweat drip from my forehead and slide slowly, burning my eyes as they mixed with my tears. No, I told myself, I have to be strong, but those words of encouragement weren’t enough to hold back the crippling fear that was crushing my very soul.

I heard a sharp high pitched scrape of a knife on a table. The footsteps came closer and closer until the cold blade of the knife was pressing on my neck, ready to slice.

Oh no! Is this the end?

As tears streamed down my face, I jolted awake when I felt the shocking prick of the dreaded medication bring me back.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!