The First Parade

“Get on parade!” yelled an officer.
Boots unpolished, sleeves unrolled, and rank badge misplaced, my uniform looked disgraceful. I scrambled to join Foxtrot-20. I stood still on the parade ground and felt doomed. The whole platoon could be punished if I failed the uniform inspection. I didn’t want to be the pariah.
It was our first cadet training. Long before recruitment, rumours about the cruel program had been circulating. It was said that one had to climb a rock as high as the Sydney Tower and pass a swim test that could drown you in heavy uniform. Even worse was the winter camp in Snowy Mountains where kids could get covered in ticks during the day and frozen to icicles at night.
After what felt like an hour, a corporal started to examine the first row. As he went through each boy, he recorded a mark and went to the next silently. I hoped somebody else got criticised so I wasn’t alone. But it seemed I was.
Soon, the corporal reached my row. He was tall with a strong build. His eyebrows formed a frown as he scrutinised everyone. His own uniform was immaculate – boots polished as shiny as a mirror, sleeves ironed as flat as a sheet, and corporal insignia looked as proud as a flag. His name tag read ‘Zou.’ I realised that he was the one who emailed us the long Code of Conduct as harsh as Hammurabi’s. My heart raced as he approached. I felt like fainting, holding my breath, awaiting the final judgement.
“Send him to the nurse!” I heard a distant yell. Fidgeting and murmurs followed.
I turned to see what had happened. My friend Ryan from Foxtrot-21 had fainted and was being half-led, half-dragged to the clinic. It was only now that I felt the sweltering Sun, as if condemning me with burning anger. But there was no room to think about Ryan because Corporal Zou was already in front of me.
“Recruit Ru! Why is your rank badge here? Also, don't do up your top button.” He pointed at my rank badge and tried to look serious.
“Sorry, Sir.” I undid the button.
“Stop fixing your uniform on parade!” he instructed but sounded like he was stifling a laugh. Drops of sweat glinted on his forehead.
“Sorry, It’s my first day as an officer.” He was embarrassed for his incompetence in giving instructions. “You reminded me of how I started cadets last year. Come back next week neatly, because you only have one week to organise yourself. Come on, I believe in you.” he assured me and moved on to the next cadet.
So, I wasn’t the only one trying something new today. I suddenly felt excited to come back next week with a better uniform. I might even come back as Corporal Ru this time next year. Anything is possible.
In the distance, I saw Ryan coming back from the clinic, as fresh as a newly recharged smartphone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!