White Noise

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

I can’t sleep. I can still hear it. Feel it, pounding through me like the steady rhythm of a heartbeat, ricocheting through my body. Pounding in my brain until the beat is etched into my mind, carved in stone. It is like a vindictive, elusive demon that stalks my mind, with an unquenchable desire, an insatiable craving, to make my life a living hell. A deafening and tumultuous serenade of agony. My sorrow weaved into the night sky between patches of moonlight. I clamp my hands over my ears, the blanket muffling my hyperventilating. Then I hear it again. The heartbeat. Rapidly palpitating, piercing my ears and running through my veins. I am still, still as a derelict, dilapidated statue, counting the seconds before it crumbles. I scream into my pillow.

Seven in the morning. I walk down the school hallway, head down, eyes gazing endlessly at the floor. Blurry shoes race past mine, and I can’t concentrate. My anxiety is eating me up from the inside. The boisterous chatter and clamour morphs into nefarious shrieks and ear-splitting cackles. Block it out.

One o’clock. I sit in the examination hall, my foot restlessly tapping against the leg of the chair. I reposition myself for the hundredth time, but it doesn’t quell my lingering despondency. My mind wanders endlessly to forbidden, unmarked territory. I try to swallow my emotions, my discomfort, but they stick like a bitter lump in my throat. The sky dances beneath my feet. Even amidst the silence, I can still hear noise. Block it out.

Four PM. Daylight dwindles into eventide. The noise is unbearable. I long for tranquil silence. I long for the noise to be cancelled out, for quietude to cocoon me in its warm and reassuring embrace. The pandemonium’s absence of noise is a pillar of strength, a gleam of serendipitous hope. I want the clatter of the world to slowly die out. Who am I kidding? I’m talking to myself. Slowly letting go of reality. Gradually losing my sanity. I yearn for the cacophonous commotion of the world will slowly dissolve into white noise.

Block it out.

Block it out.

I place my new headphones on my head. They clamp over my ears, The chitter chatter of the children, the pitter patter of the rain, the shortness of my breath; all of it dissipating, diffusing into an empty void of nothingness, like ashes spilling from a porcelain vase. My muscles finally release their tension. My chest expands, and my head feels light and buoyant. The voices of the outside world slowly fade into white noise.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!