A Close Escape

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

The doorbell screeched as I hauled my body up to answer the anonymous caller. I trembled as I cautiously walked. The floorboard’s creak filled the deafening silence. The door shook as the impatient visitor knocked with force. With every second that went by, the ear-piercing knock grew louder and harder. Finally, even with the uncertainty bubbling in my tummy I twisted the doorknob and pulled the door. A man with a briskly beard stood in front of the opened crack of the door that allowed the sunlight to enter. As I further opened the squeaky door, I saw a short, plump man carrying a long, winded piece of rope. “Your comin’ with us,” the first man cried with a sly smile painted on his face. Before I could do anything, he grabbed my wrist and tied me up. Soon, my vision faded and a monstrous black replaced everything.

Ripples of pain shot through my body due to the tightness of ropes tied on me. My eyelids opened as I realised where I was. The two men were standing in the corner with malicious and mischievous smiles. I struggled against the tight ropes as I tried to fight them off but it was useless. I scanned around and saw gloomy humans around my age working as slaves, digging up rocks for the tall, towering wall. Both men explained what my expectations were and what I would earn. Having no better option, I obeyed the rules. Finally, when the sky was dim and only shadows, stars and the moon were seen, I drifted off to sleep while attempting to hatch a plan to escape this torturous prison I got sent to.

A rough shake woke me up as the bright beam of light from the sun blinded my eyes. I dragged my heavy body and started digging up bumpy rocks. There was no complexity but no one would like being trapped with only three pieces of bread to fill their growling bellies. After a few days of boredom, I found a small hole just large enough for me to fit through it! I carefully looked around in case someone was watching me. When the coast was clear, I crept through the tight hole and took a deep breath of freedom. “She escaped!!” a coarse voice shouted. I sprinted with all my might, as fast as my little feet could take me but I could still hear the thunderous roar of heavier footsteps. I pushed harder till the footsteps faded to nothing. Through the thick forest I had landed to, I saw a my door. Though this same door led me danger and it could again, I was willing to risk it. I twisted the doorknob and pushed it open while stepping in.

I was back in my bed when my mum questioned “Why do you look so anxious?”
I replied “I just had a dream.” But deep down inside, I knew it was nowhere near a dream.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!