The Dead Shall Rise

Casey awoke to the evacuation bell ringing and people screaming. She jumped out of bed and walked to the window with a feeling of dread. Outside people were running down the street frantically. Casey looked around the room. Everyone else was up and grabbing the few things they owned. Quickly she changed and crawled under her bed to the loose floor- board. Gently she pried it open to reveal a secret compartment. Inside was her bow, a dagger and some food. She had been planning on running away from the orphanage with her friend Evelyn. She packed everything into a bag and searched through the pandemonium for Evelyn.

“Casey!” Casey turned around to find Evelyn beckoning to her by the door. She ran over to her. “What’s happening?” “I don’t know,” replied Evelyn. “The evacuation bell just started ringing and Miss Callahan came in and told us to go to the escape ships,”. “Alright let's go!” Casey cried. They ran out the door into the street. They were almost the last ones out of the orphanage.

Why did the bell ring? What was going on? Her questions were answered by a low groaning sound coming from behind them. Everyone else screamed and started running faster. Casey turned around and understood why they screamed. Coming up the hill was a horde of zombies. Most were so decayed that bones were showing. Some of them were more intact but all were covered in dirt.

The sight of them chilled Casey to the bone and she felt like screaming. But she had to stay strong for Evelyn. Casey stopped and opened her bag. Quickly she found her bow and dagger. “What are you doing?” Evelyn asked frantically. “I’m seeing if they can die.” Swiftly she drew, aimed and shot. Her arrow hit one of the zombies in the chest. The force of it made the zombie tumble backwards down the hill taking more of the unbalanced zombies with it. Casey really hoped that it was dead.

She looked around. She had to do something about the zombies, or they would catch up to everyone. “Alright. I’m going to stay here and hold off the zombies so that everyone can escape. You can stay with me or go ahead.” Evelyn got out her bow. “I’m staying with you.” The two friends stood shooting zombies until everyone was out of sight. Then they ran as fast as they could to get to the boats. Finally gasping for air they made it to the docks.

Casey looked around. There was one boat left. She sighed with relief. The captain was waving at them to come on. They ran on and the boat took off just as the rest of the zombies came into sight. They had made it!



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!