Gratefulness

"WHY CAN'T I JUST GET A DOG MUM!"
"BECAUSE OF YOUR ALLERGIES! HOW MANY TIMES DO HAVE TO TELL YOU VIOLET!"

Violet was filled with anger and exasperation. The rain started to patter, large water droplets slid down the window simulatanously with the tears on her face. There was rage of annoyance in Violet's eyes. She stomped loudly to her room and threw herself onto the bed, her anger was was as furious as bulls on a rampage.
She screamed into her pillow as loud as she could and tossed it onto the ground with all her might. She dialed her best friend Darla, who happened to also be her neighbour.
Darla picked up in an instant.
"I could hear everything." Darla immediately chuckled. "I've known you and your mum since primary school. She's not letting you get a dog."
"Was I that loud?" Violet questioned herself in disbelief.
"You've been asking for a dog since you were seven! There's no chance she was going to just give it to you. Plus, you have so many allergies that I've even lost count."
"It's just not fair. You get 2 dogs and I'm stuck with my younger sister who's basically a rat." Violet announced unappreciatively.
"You have to be grateful for what you have, anyways I got to go have dinner with my family. I can call in half an hour, see you later." Violet was left with a monotonous hum after the call disconnected. The words from Darla's mouth about being grateful sunk into Violet like a dry sponge filled with water. She remembered the countless times that she was admitted to the hospital for an anaphylactic reaction while her family stayed and cared for her. Violet never really thought about the things she had, she only thought about the things she didn't have. Violet had a family which accounts for more than everything, even a dog. Family love is stronger than any love, Violet knew she was blessed to have this love.

From that day onwards, Violet stopped asking for a dog. Instead, she asked to spend time together with her family. As the allergies subsided with age, her mum finally agreed to get a dog.

The day Darla found out about Violet's dog, she squeeled in happiness and they both spent the rest of their day playing with Violet's dog.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!